Stucco recommendations?

I used an EIFS material, which is a synthetic stucco. I also used an EIFS product that allowed for a little flex since I was a little worried about the extra movement that my kitchen might experience since it is constructed on top of my deck. The brand was Parex - Flex or something like that, but there are others that are similar. They premix whatever color you want and I was able to do about the same amount with one 5 gallon bucket. Cost was about $70-$80.

Riles

Yes, that is the manufacturer that I used and I just found a local distributor to mix up the color.

My process was this:

- I taped all the seams and corners with a hardie tape first
- I applied thier base coat, which come in a bag like concrete, and applied it to all the seams and corners. I think I recall the standard application called for putting down a mesh over the whole thing and then base coat over the whole thing. I did not do that.
- I rolled on a concrete adhesive and then once it got tacky I troweled on the stucco. To be honest this didn't seem to do anything and I think it was a waste of time, but it was a process that others used so it wasn't a big deal.

Thats about it. My wife followed my trowling with a wet sponge to smooth out any imperfections before it dried. That seemed to work good, but it depends on what sort of finish you are looking for.

Good luck,

Riles

I have already taped the seams and corners then applied a pre-mixed thinset mortar. If I am reading you right those are the only areas you applied the base coat to. So I would skip that step and go right to the concrete adhesive then apply the stucco product.

Do you know if you used the standard acrylic finish? I downloaded the Parex coverage chart. Looks like 65lb pail is the only size available. The coverage chart doesn't state what thickness it's based on. I guess I can get that from the local distributor.

I'm not sure what the "Standard acrylic finish" is, but that doesn't sound like what I used. I think I used the Elastic Flex Sand Finish. And that product covers about 120-130sf per pail. The distributor will hopefully be able to help you out with any questions.

Riles_J said:
I'm not sure what the "Standard acrylic finish" is, but that doesn't sound like what I used. I think I used the Elastic Flex Sand Finish. And that product covers about 120-130sf per pail. The distributor will hopefully be able to help you out with any questions.
I bought the flex fine. The coverage data sheet says 150-165 sq ft but the distributor told me I needed two pails for my 150 sq ft. I took his recommendation and good thing I did. I am into the 2nd pail and still have about 1/4-1/3 of the surface yet to be covered. Looks pretty good but my wife texted a picture to me earlier this morning where some thinset is showing through at the seams and screw locations on one wall. We got heavy rain yesterday after I had applied the concrete adhesive to that wall. Maybe the excess moisture in the air caused my application to go on thin. The other two sides I had done earlier covered fine w/o any show through.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad things are going well. Having a little extra stucco is a good thing. I got by with one pail, but I needed every last ounce of it.

Sounds like you were applying yours in the exact opposite conditions that I was in. I was in scorching heat and I started on the back, which was exposed to the sun and the largest side. Maybe not the best decision in hind sight because it was setting up so fast. It all worked out though. The back looks the worst, but no one ever sees the back. Be sure and post some pics when you get finished.

Riles

Not finished yet but getting close. Here's a pic (taken with phone) on Sunday after finishing the stucco before I started installing equipment. Low voltage lights need to be attached, switch plates and outlet covers need to be installed, etc. I ended up using pretty much all the two buckets of stucco. Very little left at all. Will post more pics once I get everything mounted. Have not purchased or installed overhead lighting and fan but I have pre-wired from switches to a junction box under the sink area. Trying to get it usable (probably minus lighting) for a party for my wife's friends from her work on Sept 8. Have some cleanup to do as well and may be out on a business trip for a few days next week. Gonna be cutting it close!

[attachment=0:25fae5vb]rsz_1rsz_1kitchen_stucco.jpg[/attachment:25fae5vb]

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_1kitchen_stucco.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1kitchen_stucco.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 297
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.