New Salt Water In-Ground Pool

jaker

Jul 25, 2012
First time pool first time on a web support but your page came highly recommended. Pool has been in for about 3 weeks and I tested the water last night and the CyA is in the 0 category and I wasn't sure if I needed to increase the chlorine generator or not - the FCI, Alk, and pH are in the ok category? The generator is currently set at 20% for the sanitizer output. If I need to increase the sanitizer output, how long do I keep it at 40% before I turn it back down to 20%. Thanks in advance for the help.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Please post up the specific numbers for all you levels as that will help us better advise you. Also tell us how you got the test results. Please see:
pool-school/read_before_you_post

If your CYA is indeed close to 0, it is very likely that the sun is breaking down the FC just about as fast as the SWG can make it.

Why do you want to increase the SWG output? It almost sounds like you think that would increase your CYA levels.

Read through Pool School (link in signature and at upper right of page) a few times to get a better feel for the water chemistry and you will find the levels that we recommend (CYA of 70-80ppm for SWG pools).

How does your water look?

Those percentages don't mean a whole lot. You put it on the setting that will maintain your FC. I recommend keeping it around 4-5 PPM. Mine runs at 70%. Like Christian said, post your test results. Some tests say you are in range when truthfully you are off.

The FCI is at at 1, the Alk is at 80 and the pH is at 7.2. The water is very clear and it does sparkle. The liner is very slippery but it seemed better after I vaccummed it. The contractor who put the pool in gave me a 5 minute class on the gnerator and he actually lowed it to 20% before he left so I thought if I needed to increased or decrease one of the chemicals, I would have to use the sanitizer output but I guess not. Glad I asked for help. I'll read the Pool School.

Having an accurate test kit is invaluable for maintaining your pool with a minimum amount of time and expense. I noticed a big difference in my daily chlorine burn off when my CYA is in the 70-80 range vs 50-60 ppm. Consequently I was able to dial back my SWG run time to 25 to 30%. Good info on this site, and if you follow their recommendations you'll enjoy more trouble free pool time. A good test kit is a must.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.