Frustration level with Intex SWG

imcj

May 18, 2010
I posted several weeks ago about the "91" error on my Intex SWG. I purchased one May 2010 and after one summer I had to have it replaced in October 2010 because of constant "91" error. It worked pretty well for summer 2011, but it has been nothing but a hassle this summer. I am adding bleach every to every other day because the SWG keeps saying "91". Yes, I've done the vinegar thing numerous times to clean the cells, I've made sure to check the salt content in the water, etc. I've contacted Intex and the first operator said they could replace it, but I had to pay the shipping to send it back. I asked if I could speak with a supervisor to inquire why I would have to pay the shipping (better than purchasing the whole unit, but I just wanted to verify that I had to) and she told me that I would get a call within 24 hours. Never happened. I called back today and the operator said the first operator was wrong. They cannot replace the unit because it is not under the 2 year warranty. The 2nd one was received in October of 2010. I don't understand why the 2 years wouldn't apply to the one I currently have that I received in October 2010.

Anyway, recommendations? :!: I really can't afford to spend a ton of money on something else, but is there something I should purchase that isn't TOO expensive that I would receive better service from or would you recommend I continue with Intex. Thanks for listening to my frustration and offering recommendations.

Yes, it sounds very frustrating. Remember to your last thread, did you ever get salt down in the 2500-3500 range?

Your experience with the intex is not the norm. Many people on here have had good success. I would expect you to get at least two seasons with your pool size assuming you are winterizing and also not trying to fight algae with the swg. Since this is the second cell that has done to you, I would suspect your pool chemistry still, though that last numbers you posted looked okay.

Are you still getting buildup on your cells?

As a point of reference, I have been running all summer on my swg and have not needed to clean it yet (which is normal for me).

Sounds like you might benefit from going to a different manufacturers cell assuming everything else is in order.

Well, I really don't want to keep adding bleach. It would get costly, plus it's nice to just have something do this for you.

Yes, I did bring my salt down to about the 3500 range. This is why I just don't understand. I would've hoped for at least two seasons as you mentioned. Would you explain what you mean by "not trying to fight algae with the swg". If you mean am I running it excessively when algae is present, then no. Testing always shows 0 cc's, so I haven't had to deal with algae problems. Do you mean something different?

Also, maybe you touched on an answer. I didn't "winterize" as many of you do. I live in a desert climate with very mild winters, so I covered the pool and only had the SWG come on for 1 hour each evening.

Yes, I am still getting buildup on the cells. We do have extremely hard water in this area. Scale buildup around water faucets is a problem for all households around here without a water softener. Or maybe the strips are not accurate? I purchased them at the beginning of summer, so I would think they are still fine. Thank you very much for your thoughts on this, and I really hope to come up with an answer.

The strips do not last all that long. May be better off getting the drops. Whenever my Intex has complained about salt it's always been correct. Usually low salt. Curious, do you add water to the pool that goes through a water softener that uses salt to soften the water? If so that would raise your salt level every time you add water.

Opinions PLEASE

Opinions greatly appreciated...apparently Intex will not be able to replace my SWG so I will pick one up today before my pool decides to turn green in our 110 degree weather!

Should I again purchase the Intex Krystal Clear SWG or the Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter. I have never had a sand filter and don't know how they work, but I've noticed a lot of people on this site seem to have a sand filter. I really appreciate your input as I don't know which is better. Thanks so much!

Never mind...I just realized what it is...it's not an SWG...sorry for the confusion! Opinions not necessary unless you're going to blast me for not reading carefully! LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.