Oop's TA High @ 140

H969

Jul 8, 2012
On 7/24 TA 110, looking for 120
So I added 4LBS TA up at 10am, ran pool 32 hours and tested TA was still 110 Pool calculator said to add 4 lbs again so I added 4 lbs on 7/25, ran pool overnight again and tested 10am TA 120!! 8/27 TA 120 Perfect!! Right?

It rained from 8/28 to 8/29 and now I have TA 140!!! is it the rain or did I put to much TA UP to soon?
Do I have to reduce the TA?

Tests:
FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.5-7.8
TA 140
CH 260
CYA 80
Temp 75
CSI .31

Why such a high target for TA? Are you using trichlor pucks for chlorine?

Unless you are a trichlor (or dichlor) user, TA of 70-90+ recommended range...with swg users 60-80.

With that said, lowering your ph to 7.2 whenever it gets up to 7.8 will slowly lower your TA. We do not recommend chasing "perfect" TA values...it will usually just settle in to it's sweet spot over time.

I assume you are chlorinating with trichlor tablets? If so, you will want your TA up as the trichlor will eat up TA over time, so you can leave it alone now, just watch your pH and keep that in range.

If you use bleach for chlorine, you do not need TA that high, but again, just keep your pH in the correct range and TA will go down on it's own due to refilling after backwashing.

I cannot say whether the rain brought in some thing that added to TA, let's wait for an expert on that.

linen said:
Why such a high target for TA? Are you using trichlor pucks for chlorine?

Unless you are a trichlor (or dichlor) user, TA of 70-90+ recommended range...with swg users 60-80.

With that said, lowering your ph to 7.2 whenever it gets up to 7.8 will slowly lower your TA. We do not recommend chasing "perfect" TA values...it will usually just settle in to it's sweet spot over time.
No, I am using Bleach 12.5%, But I am new to this and I thought it needed to be TA 120 and now after looking around I don't remember way I thought TA 120 was the sweet spot :?

anonapersona said:
I assume you are chlorinating with trichlor tablets? If so, you will want your TA up as the trichlor will eat up TA over time, so you can leave it alone now, just watch your pH and keep that in range.

If you use bleach for chlorine, you do not need TA that high, but again, just keep your pH in the correct range and TA will go down on it's own due to refilling after backwashing.

I cannot say whether the rain brought in some thing that added to TA, let's wait for an expert on that.
Okay Thanks!!

From another post, I just saw that you area a trichlor/dichlor user. I would stop using trichlor/dichlor for now since your cya is at 80 ppm. You can manage a pool at 80 ppm cya, but it is getting high and you must be vigilant that you do not drop below your FC minimum.

By the way it is rare that rain would raise TA (I have never seen it but have heard it is a unlikely possibility).

linen said:
From another post, I just saw that you area a trichlor/dichlor user. I would stop using trichlor/dichlor for now since your cya is at 80 ppm. You can manage a pool at 80 ppm cya, but it is getting high and you must be vigilant that you do not drop below your FC minimum.

By the way it is rare that rain would raise TA (I have never seen it but have heard it is a unlikely possibility).
Yes I was a trichlor user but I switched to chlorine around the middle of this month, thank you for your attention to details!! :goodjob:

H969 said:
Yes I was a trichlor user but I switched to chlorine around the middle of this month, thank you for your attention to details!! :goodjob:
Great news! Hopefully you can stay algae free until you drain for winter.

Since you are not longer a trichlor user (at least for this year) let's see where your TA goes as you continue to add Muriatic acid when ph reaches 7.8...no big deal, but looking retrospectively, you should have not raised it in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
H969 said:
Great news! Hopefully you can stay algae free until you drain for winter.

Since you are not longer a trichlor user (at least for this year) let's see where your TA goes as you continue to add Muriatic acid when ph reaches 7.8...no big deal, but looking retrospectively, you should have not raised it in the first place.
LOL, :oops: I know I do not see were I thought it should be 120 from 100 I was following the Trouble Free Pool directions and I must have read something wrong :?

Maybe I have psychological problem, like break it so I can fix it? Sheesh, thanks for the support!! :wave:

H969 said:
Yes I was a trichlor user but I switched to chlorine around the middle of this month...

:oops: I know I do not see were I thought it should be 120 from 100 I was following the Trouble Free Pool directions and I must have read something wrong :?

Maybe I have psychological problem, like break it so I can fix it? Sheesh, thanks for the support!! :wave:

Probably something as simple as this. If you setup Poolcalculator.com for a Trichlor pool before you switched to bleach - the TA target is 100-120+; when you switch to bleach it drops to 70-90+.

UnderWaterVanya said:
H969 said:
Yes I was a trichlor user but I switched to chlorine around the middle of this month...

:oops: I know I do not see were I thought it should be 120 from 100 I was following the Trouble Free Pool directions and I must have read something wrong :?

Probably something as simple as this. If you setup Poolcalculator.com for a Trichlor pool before you switched to bleach - the TA target is 100-120+; when you switch to bleach it drops to 70-90+.

Okay, you saved my hide and my wallet, I was going to call a psychologist, thanks bro! :party:

H969 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
H969 said:

Okay, you saved my hide and my wallet, I was going to call a psychologist, thanks bro! :party:

Always ready to help a fellow TFP'er. :cheers:

Also to put your mind at ease...

When I first started here - I had just come back from the pool store and didn't have my own test kit. I was told my TA was ZERO. I added a LOT of Alkalinity Increaser (ie Baking Soda in an expensive can) over the course of a few days before finding this site. Then when I got my kit I was mortified - the TA was 180! The store showed it as 20!

I've slowly brought mine back to 80 in a month or so - admittedly the 180 reading may have been due to poor test technique - since when I changed techniques it seemed closer to 120. In any case - it's not a big deal to fix over time and nothing to worry over - low priority stuff.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Also to put your mind at ease...

When I first started here - I had just come back from the pool store and didn't have my own test kit. I was told my TA was ZERO. I added a LOT of Alkalinity Increaser (ie Baking Soda in an expensive can) over the course of a few days before finding this site. Then when I got my kit I was mortified - the TA was 180! The store showed it as 20!

I've slowly brought mine back to 80 in a month or so - admittedly the 180 reading may have been due to poor test technique - since when I changed techniques it seemed closer to 120. In any case - it's not a big deal to fix over time and nothing to worry over - low priority stuff.
Lol, yes the pool store... :hammer: they used to tell me to put 60-70lbs of PH up and come back tomorrow, so I would and then when I went back they would say you put to much!!, now you need 35lbs of PH down...secound self on the left sir.... :shark:

H969.... Love your choice of smiley's for that! From stories I've heard... that's exactly the approach many pool stores take with their customers. Glad I can say I've never been there... Found this awesome place when trying to decide the best way to test my maintain my "new to me" pool. Pool stores only see me when I need a specialty item :whoot:

Suziqzer said:
H969.... Love your choice of smiley's for that! From stories I've heard... that's exactly the approach many pool stores take with their customers. Glad I can say I've never been there... Found this awesome place when trying to decide the best way to test my maintain my "new to me" pool. Pool stores only see me when I need a specialty item :whoot:
Yes they can be real :joker: , thats why I :lovetfp: because they teach the right :testkit:

Buy the way my TA went down to 130 today :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.