cracks under liner

Welcome to TFP.

I assume it's a AGP but tell us more about it?
It could be the ground cracking if it's extremely dry where you are. You should be able to tell if it's cracking because of the patterns.

Since you suspected crawdads, I'd say you live in a low lying area.

We live in Kansas City that's in eastern Kansas. There is a drainage ditch on side of property,in I neighbors yard, there are cattails, crawdads, frogs etc. The pool has been in for 3 summers now. This year our temps have been in the 100s without rain, grass is brittle and effecting trees now. Last year I noticed half dollar size hole in yard, 2 are right beside pool. We have cracks all over our acre of property, some big enough to put hand down into. The pool floor is getting real bad, which makes it hard to vac. At times you can feel the sand collapse.

The pros are that you have a nice smooth bottom and you aren't relying on the earth to remain smooth.
The cons are it's hard, but if you use foam under the liner it feels good to the feet. Oh, and the expense. :(

I have what I believe are mole trails under my AGP. They showed up 4-5 years ago. Other than dirt settling in the ditches, we have had no issues. My robot takes care of the dirt. I haven't noticed any new ditches with the cracks this year - we are in NW Missouri, so not far from you.

I imagine that the cracks will get worse in August, unless we get some real rain. I wouldn't do anything now as I would be afraid that the cracks would reappear later on this summer.

I live in Mid-Missouri (home of the State Fair so we are bound to get rain then in the form of a storm or two :roll: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool is the same age as yours and we had the same issue starting last summer already... this summer being dry as well only made the problem worse.

We first noticed small indentations and cracks last summer when we started getting them in the yard. This year... same thing but more of it. Because of the pattern on the liner, it isn't really noticeable unless you are swimming at night with a light on under water.

At this point we are just choosing to leave it and see what happens. Don't want to spend the $$ on a new liner, water, and chemicals for a re-start. If we were to do it again, I think we would just add a foam bottom to the floor to make sure it didn't happen again. I don't think I would want the concert due to the added expense, the hardness of it, and the possibility that we may remove the pool after our son graduates in another 11 years. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.