Balancing pool

Jul 15, 2012
I think I may be on the right track with what I'm thinking these are my current pool levels:

FC-8.5ppm
CC-1.5ppm
PH-7.1
TA-80ppm
CH-340ppm
CYA-90ppm

So I'm thinking after reading the ABC's of pool chemistry and and the chlorine/cya chart I need to use liquid shock to balance the free chlorine levels and soda ash to raise my ph levels. Does that sound right?

Your CYA is pretty high ... likely a 50% water replacement would be the best first step.

Barring that, leave the pH and start the shock process outlined in Pool School because your CC >0.5.

How does the water look?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'd suggest draining about 50% of the water and replacing it and then start the shock process. If you start to shock at a CYA of 90 your FC will be 35 which will require 4 large jugs of bleach to get there. If you drain and refill your shock level will be 18 and it'll take 1½ large jugs to get there. And getting there the first time is only the begining. You'll have to maintain shock level until you've passed the OCLT.

The suggestion to shock your pool is based on the high CC value of 1.5. This indicates presence of after-products of chlorine usage in quantities that tell us that you have algae or other organics in the pool. It is possible to have algae that you do not see, this will increase chlorine demand and if more chlorine is not provided the algae will grow to the point of being visible, either on surfaces (can be behind lights or ladders or such) or floating in the water seen first as a dullness then getting greener.

If your pool has been covered, it may just be a build-up of CC that will go away when uncovered. You could try that first if that is the case. Otherwise, you ought to shock, and to reduce your CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.