Green Pool but Clear Water in Test Cylinder

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
My neighbor, who has now drained his pool twice this summer and refilled - only to go green again, has asked me to help him learn to keep a clear pool. In an attempt to find out what his cya level is, to see if he should drain or attempt to clear it (Intex equip), I did the cya test. I dipped the cylinder in his pool, which was pea green, and to my surprise, the water in the cylinder was crystal clear. Is this to be expected with algae? (I was lucky enough to find TFP the day I filled my first pool 5 summers ago and have never seen a pool green with algae - thanks again duraleigh and frustratedpoolmom for holding my hand and giving the gift that keeps on giving - knowledge!)

The sample in the tube is typically too small to really show the cloudiness. The water has to be very very bad to actually affect the CYA test.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I wasn't worried about it altering the test result - I just thought the water sample would be green. I'm guessing it looks green because the green algae is on the pool walls and floor? I just dipped the sample cylinder in - didn't feel the walls or anything. Almost certain it is green with algae as opposed to metals (since we have the same fill water), but I was surprised by it being clear as opposed to green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.