New pool DE filter and mushy floor

Jul 29, 2012
I have a brand new above ground pool. It has a sand base. About 3 days after it was installed my wife and kids got in and left a few divets and said the floor was mushy. What's going on? Also, how do I clean my DE filter? It's a waterway Clearwater 2 from namco. I understand it needs taken apart but how is this done? Once I take care of this, I'll start my chemical questions. Thanks.

My pool is about 2 weeks old now and the floor seems to be stiffening up. I think it takes a little while for the water to really compact that sand base. I could be wrong, because I too am new to all of this, but our first few swims I was careful not to dig my toes in. My daughter is only in a swim vest too short to touch the floor, so I dont have to worry about little toes yet.

I havent had to clean my DE filter yet, but there are alot of great people that will chime in and help you out. Welcome aboard and post some pics, lol

With a sand floor you're going to have some softness until the floor completely compacts. It's not unusual to have some divots.

If you tell us the model DE filter you have and whether you have a slide valve or a multiport we can better help with cleaning the filter.

dattia said:
I thought we were being so careful with our bottom when we had our pool installed over sand... but now when the light is on at night, it looks like the surface of the moon. I think the divots are unavoidable.

Our pool was built too long ago and without any knowledge transfer from the owners of the house we have no details on what lies under it. It's vinyl and has a number of soft spots that have dented. I'll post a picture later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.