C.A. View tube question

Edn35

Jun 2, 2012
Joplin Missouri
Im new at testing chemicals so here it goes. Two nights ago we started the BBB as we just filled our pool. I have started with dichlor in the appropriate amount for the last two nights. I've been testing chlorine and ph nightly. Not sure if I'm supposed to check the cya yet or after the fourth night. So I just tested it and my question is about the black dot on the bottom of the test tube. Does it visibly go away from waist level? It never looked like it did but if I held it just in front of my eye, the blot dot was faded in the middle but not the edges. What should I be expecting with this? Thank you so much.

What is important at this point is the calculated value for CYA. It may take a week or more for the CYA to show up on test so just keep a running total of what has been added. Use that calculated CYA for your values in the calculator and such until a week or so has passed, then test.

I find that the lighting for this test is really important.

I had the same thing. Just set up the pool on 7/22 and used the pool school recommendations and added 8oz of dichlor for four days. I tested CYA on day 5, and I got <20, when I thought it should be just above 30 based on the pool school article, and the pool calculator.

So just for clarification, even when adding CYA by using dichlor, it will still take up to a week to register correctly on the test? I guess I assumed that was only for straight CYA, not for dichlor.

Thanks.

I tested twice, once indoors, and the second time outdoors in full sun, with my back to it. Both times I filled the tube, and could still slightly see the black circle at the edges. It never fully disappeared. Both tests were with Friday's water, so I will try again tonight or tomorrow with fresh pool water and see what I get.

hofmanns said:
I've added 32oz total.

32oz of bags? What percentage of dichlor is in each bag?
If those bags were 100% dichlor you'd have about a 30 CYA ppm rise from where you started.
(based on the 4000 gallons you list)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.