TFPC for Beginners old comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BBB for Beginners

Ditto ... we just got our 1st taste of Leslie's Pools and got ripped $195 to replace a 16x36 solar cover (blue bubble wrap stuff). When we unfoiled the one that the previous owner had it started falling apart in the pool - so we were sort of in an emergency situation. Will do a better job of planning and price comparison the next time. But pool stores are now on notice with me. :)

Re: BBB for Beginners - Ph and TA

I am new pool owner, 25K gal, Pentair variable sp pump, SWG, Aqualogic, pentair clean&clear cartridge filter. Converted to BBB this spring, have had very successful summer testing and maintaining pool, water crystal clear all summer and still so. Salt= 2900, CYA= 80, FC= 4.5, TA= 80, borates= 50, all holding steady all summer. Ph creeping upward, now at 7.7, when reach 7.8 will add acid to lower to 7.5.
Here's my question:
TA is at 80, where I want it to be, now. When I add acid to lower Ph, will also lower TA. What do I do to bring TA back up to 80 without bringing Ph up.

Thanks for your very helpful site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Shaf77 said:
So what do I need to do when its done? Start using BBB? Or?
If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.

It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?

I would like to request that "The Pool Calculator" have a small change for those of us that use the webpage on our mobile phones. If you change all <input type="text"> to <input type="number">, the default keyboard page on our phones will show us the numbers first instead of letters.

The change is supposed to be backwards compatible with browsers that do not support HTML5 and it will default back to text. On Opera, Safari, and Chrome it adds up/down arrows to the right of the field which may change cell widths, however I'm sure jQuery could be used to detect the browser and only change the input type if it is a mobile device.

Unfortunately, JasonLion the creator of the pool calculator, no longer controls the rights/ability to change the webpage. Have you tried one of the apps? 2 for android: simple pool, pool pal (I think) and one for ios: pool-calculator

If you use a lot of dry acid, then sulfates can build up in the pool and at high levels (300 ppm) they can be harmful to plaster (see this thread). Some saltwater chlorine generator manufacturers say to avoid using dry acid, though their claim of calcium sulfate formation is questionable. Calcium sulfate scale would take quite extraordinary levels of both and it is not pH dependent the way that calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate scale are. It's possible that there is some other factor of sulfates on the special coatings on SWG plates, but that is just speculation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.