Arg...out of R871, but need to test FC

genespleen

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2010
Hi folks,

I'm in the midst of the shocking process and have run out of r871 solution--I thought I had a spare bottle, but nope. I've now ordered a refill, but in the meantime, does anyone have an idea of how I might be able to test using, say, the standard TC/PH test, and get at least a *sense* that I'm at or above 16ppm (my shock level)?

best wishes,
David

In a pinch you can use the OTO chlorine test, drops turn the sample shades of yellow which are then compared to a color chart. To get it to work with common shock levels you need to dilute the pool water with three times as much chlorine free water, do the test with that, and then multiply the results by four. The results will have a larger +- error range, so you can only get an approximate idea of the FC level, but it is still good enough to be able to continue shocking. Just make sure you use chlorine free water for the dilution, and that you aim for a slightly high FC level to compensate for possible errors in the readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.