My new AGP Numbers

While you read Pool School, take a look at Temporary/Seasonal Pools section, as well as Test Kits Compared section. In these sections you ought to take notes or print out some parts.

When you get to the part about the Pool Calculator slow down and play with the calculator for awhile. This calculator will be what you use, along with your test kit, to decide what your pool needs and how to deliver that to the pool. There may be several choices when it comes to chemicals to do a particular job. Down at the bottom notice Effects of Adding Chemicals -- this will help you to understand the differences between two different products that can be used to do the same thing, for each may have other effects that may be of interest.

I've been reading the Pool School and I temporary bought a Walmart HTH 6 to 1 pool test kit so I can get initial numbers. I'll be ordering the TF100 kit as soon as I can.
I'm trying to figure out what to add or not with the calculator but with numbers like this, I'm confused.
I bought Bleach, Borax, Baking soda, Poly 60, and Dichlor so I'm ready. Water is really clear but with 5700 gallons, I can smell the Chlorine the city puts in the water.

Scooby59 said:
I have added nothing to the water yet. This is the water coming out of the tap from the city. I wasn't expecting the numbers to be so high so I could follow the Pool School instructions but since they are, I'm stumped.

EDIT: Forgot that this was not with the FAS-DPD test - Ignore.

9ppm Free Chlorine from the TAP???? That's 18 drops on the 10ml sample right? I'd hate to shower in that. You might want to double check it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Scooby59 said:
Ok, I feel like a goof. I read it wrong. It was so yellow that I read it was a 5 to 10 with it on the high side. Looking at a picture of the tester, it's a 5ppm for CL and 10 for Br but I didn't do a Br test.(that I remember).

Easy mistake to make!

OK - so FC was 5 or so. That's still very high for municipal water - that test is very subjective and I'd believe anything from 1-3ppm would be normal for most city water - 5ppm is pretty stout!

Your City Water: http://www.cityofdenton.com/Modules/Sho ... ntid=11716

Code:
Constituent DateTested Unit AverageLevel MinimumLevel MaximumLevel
Chloramines 2011 ppm 3.35 0.70 4.40

So your water might read 5ppm or close to it if 4.40 is the max allowed by that treatment facility.

Scooby59 said:
I just checked and my numbers now are: (now that I'm reading the gauge correctly)

3.5 CL
8 PH
120 TA
120 TH

Is this a better starting place?

Maybe; is TH = Calcium Hardness ?
The pH needs to come down a bit.

TH includes CH but also includes mangnesium hardness...but don't worry about it since TH is low and low is not a problem for vinyl. So don't add anything to increase CH.

The rest of your PC screenshot looks good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.