AG Ladder Woes

Mar 5, 2008
So we're not liking our ladder situation that came with the new pool. Here's a pic of it:

DSC00422.jpg

http://www.aboveground-swimming-pools.c ... adder.html
1196716175_HeavyDutyInpoolLadder_Heavy_Duty_Inpool_Ladder.jpg

The PB Screwed it directly onto our pool top railings. The ladder is floating (gotta put weights on it - but it's causing the top rail to bend as you can kinda see in the pic to the left of the ladder. I don't think it's the greatest idea to put that much weight on the pool edges all the time - what do you guys think?

However - I've got 12" rails and a 56" deep pool so I probably need something extra special to reach around. I hear people seem pretty happy with this ladder:
1201127241_EasyInclineInpoolLadder_easy_incline.jpeg

However - I don't know for sure if it's going to extend to 56" and if there's more then a foot between where it mounts to the deck and where it goes into the pool. Wondering if anyone else has this ladder and could get me those dimensions - would be a huge help.

Katkami,
I to had the ladder that you have, and the guy also bolted it right to the top rail, I didnt like that at all, but I didnt like the ladder any way, so I got the wedding cake steps, You may want to look into those, I am VERY glad I did.

We have the Royal Entrance steps and love them! Yes, it takes up spacein the pool, but you can sit on the steps, and it just makes it so easy to get in or out regardless of age, shape or level of wine or beer consumed......seriously, it makes an AG feel like an IG.

Thanks guys - Royal entrance is probably not going to work for us it says "will fit either a 48” or 52” deep pool"

Wedding cake steps - do those have to attach somewhere? Seems like they'd take a lot of real estate in our 21' pool. I heard some concerns about circulation & taking them out in the winter also....

I have the exact steps your looking at getting. There are 16" between the middle of the front pipe and the middle of the back one. My husband braced our deck from underneath with another 2x4 then drilled through both the deck board and 2x4 with a hole saw so the pipes go through both then under the deck. It's pretty sturdy but if you want a ladder that doesn't float this isn't it.

We tried putting scuba weights in it (I think we were over 75 lbs) and it still floats, not a lot but it does. We have a mat on the bottom of our liner so it doesn't get chewed up.

We have a 56" deep pool, the top step is only a couple inches below the water level

On my weeding cake steps, the brace is long enough to go past the top rail and screw to the deck, as far as circulation, water does not circulate the best behind them, but I do like the instructions you posted said and put my water hose behind the steps when i have to add water. As far as getting them out at the end of the season, I take mine out by myself with no problems.

We bought the Biltmore Drop-in Steps and are very glad we did. They have excellent flow through so no algae buildup issues to worry about. The ladder was too hard for my mother in law to go up and down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NWMNMom said:
We bought the Biltmore Drop-in Steps and are very glad we did. They have excellent flow through so no algae buildup issues to worry about. The ladder was too hard for my mother in law to go up and down

Where did you get them, and what do they look like?

I don't like our steps, they are flimsy and it's hard to get out of the water by way of these steps. It's easier to just pull up and twist to sit on the edge in order to get out.
My cleaner also gets stuck on the bottom step. I constantly have to check & untrapp the cleaner out of the corner.

I love our wedding cake steps but I have the room for it too... 24'. I bought it for my dd who was small at the time so she could play on the steps and now, I play on the steps. :lol:

Good luck in your search.

Poolidiot said:
On my weeding cake steps, the brace is long enough to go past the top rail and screw to the deck

My top rail is 12", plus an inch or so of a gap before my deck starts - I'd need probably about 16" before I could safely screw it into the deck - would you say it's that long?

I have this same ladder and like it. But we screw it into the deck and not the top rail. If you completely fill it with water properly it should not float. The steps and sides have holes for filling with water. Your PB probably got impatient waiting for it to fill.

Woah I had no idea there were holes that were supposed to be filled with water. We'll have to check that out. Plus there were a bunch of extra parts he left - I wonder if I can somehow use those to fasten it to the deck (if it will reach). Grrr - yeah - he was in a rush to leave and we reminded him he didn't do the ladder yet and he threw it on so I wouldn't doubt that he rushed it and did it wrong.

Thanks for the brace measurements as well - looks like we might be able to handle the cake steps (if it can be extended to our 56" depth). Those would be a nice upgrade :D

I went out and snapped some pics for ya and even checked the total heigth alotted for the wedding cake steps. Looks like you're in luck... I can measure up to 61"

My steps are a little dirty right now. Okay! Alot dirty!

Here is how I have mine attached to deck... From that curve where it would go over top rail and onto decking, you'll have 16" first screw is 6" in.

Please note that these steps do need weighted down. I made my own weights about 5 years ago by filling ziplock bags and wrapping them with packaging tape and then duct tape. They do leak a bit of sand though but not bad for a red neck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.