Skimmer and two holes... some other questions too.

Apr 7, 2012
Howdy again!

Still learning...

My skimmer (U3) (or at least the cover says U3) has two holes in the based the one that is more away from the pool has loads of suction. The point where you can often see it "spiral" the water (water tunnel?)... this is the hole where I generally plug my Great White cleaner... the cleaner works great when plugged in here.

The skimmer has another hole (in front of the above-mentioned hole) -- which appears to have NO suction, and I'm trying to figure out what it does. I've been reading and I wonder if this is where there should be a "diverter" of some kind for the drain at the base of the pool -- but I really have no idea... like I said, I'm still learning.

So my first question: What the heck is that second hole for?

Next up:

I just ordered the Hayward W491R Automatic Skimmer Plate and I'm wondering if this is going to interfere with anything that "should" be in that second hole?

So my second question is: Did I just screw up? Should I have not ordered it? I'd really like to be able to alternate between a proper skim and the vac.

Next up:

What the heck is wrong with my skimmer? Here's the scoop: It seems to me that there is just way way way way way too much Crud floating on my pool when the pool vac is NOT plugged in... I literally watch the Crud float RIGHT BY the skimmer and keep going around and around... never going into the skimmer basket. Now, don't get me wrong, when I clean out the skimmer basket, there is stuff in there, but it seems that lots of stuff is still on the surface. Especially the smaller things. I have notice that the door (flap?) on the skimmer appears to be broken/missing... not sure if that factors into things, or if it is a combination of issues revolving around my other questions.

My last (for now, LOL) question is: Am I asking too much from my skimmer or is there more to it?

That covers it for now... I'm sure I'll have many questions to come!

Thanks!! :)
Pete :party:

Skimmer bodies are typically sold wit two pipe connections for plumbing flexibility. Often the second connection is not connected to anything at all. Sometimes it is connected to the main drain, or to a wall mounted "equalization" port. Both of those allow water to still be drawn through the skimmer even if the skimmer basket is totally clogged with leaves.

The W491R Automatic Skimmer Plate allows the skimmer to alternate between running a suction side cleaner and skimming automatically. If you only have one skimmer and want to leave the vacuum in all the time it can be nice, but few people need it.

If your skimmer is missing it's weir (hinged door thing) then it won't skim very well at all. Water circulation patterns can also affect how well the skimmer works, but as long as debris is being carried past the skimmer by the current then your circulation is fine.

Thank you for the info... I have to look into finding out what is required to repair the weir. I'll take a closer look at it today. Hopefully it's just the door is missing... but something tells me the housing is broken. :( We shall see.

The current brings up a good point. How fast is too fast. I have a kidney shaped pool and the outlet is angled to create what I think is a lot of current. When there is something in the pool floating it really cruises around the pool... how fast is too fast.

Also, is it normal for objects to cruise right past the skimmer or is there a dynamic that I'm not seeing because the weir is missing?

Thanks again,
Pete

One of my skimmers wasn't working very well either. After checking out the one that does work, I noticed a piece of foam
on the back of the weir. The other one was missing, allowing it to sink. After adding the foam to the weir, the skimmer
works like a champ! I no longer have stuff floating on the surface when I get home from work :whoot:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.