birthday brisket

Jul 27, 2012
montgomery, AL
The wife is from Tx, so I periodically have to branch out from my normal 'bama bbq and dig up a brisket.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just not a very popular type of meat around these parts.
On to the good stuff though, got a full cut, point and all, fat cap mostly intact. Bisected it for better fitment and so I can leave the point on to smoke for longer, rolled out a basic rub (brown sugar, paprika, onion, garlic, cayenne, salt), and let it set up for a couple of hours while I did battle with some hickory lump that didn't want to stay lit for some reason.

145035238.jpg

hopefully I'll wake up in 8 hours and things will be going along nicely :party:

Never tried that kind of rub on a brisket. Sounds tasty! I usually throw it in the crock pot with some beer. Nothing beats that for tendering it up. I have a corn beef brisket in the slow cooker as we speak. Hope the birthday brisket turns out as good as it looks!

Happy Birthday to your wife!

If you are trying to imitate true Texas brisket, some of the best BBQ joints in Austin/Lockhart (the BBQ mecca of the state) simply use salt and freshly cracked pepper. It's the smoke that really matters. Any combination of oak, pecan, hickory, or mesquite wood would work. Though some people here in Texas have strong preferences of which wood to use. And never, ever, boil or cook it in any form of liquid.

no imitation yet, don't have enough experience with it. I'm still in the "I hope it tastes good" phase of my brisket smoking career.

nothing boiled or pre-cooked, it's just hanging out on the egg. All mesquite fire though, and it smells incredible on my back porch right now.

Haven't tried the canadian bacon thing yet, that looks interesting. Something else I've been meaning to work up is some lamb. I haven't had much opportunity this year to experiment, we bought what will hopefully be our 'permanent' house in feb and I basically haven't had much free time since then. Perks of a depressed housing market, you can get a lot for a good price, but if you're closing in on your upper bound, it doesn't leave much extra to pay people to come in and do the miserable work :| Oh well, no complaints. I'll do a separate thread about that later.

hopefully this meat will be good to at least rest by 1pm, gotta make space on the grill for other party goodies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.