Need advise: Viking pool backfill

gjpe

Jul 26, 2012
I have read many of the threads on here and other sites about sand vs gravel vs free flow for a fiberglass pool. However, most seem somewhat dated so I was looking for any recent thoughts about is sand OK for backfill of a fiberglass pool or is it an absolute must that gravel or free flow be used? Any ideas of the cost difference between sand and gravel? I realize it varies by location so I am in Illinois if that matters.

What about the "base/floor"? Should that be gravel as well or is compacted sand acceptable?

Very new to all of this, so appreciate any response! Thanks

Even though those threads are dated, they're still relavent because the construction methods haven't changed.

The mfg of the shell should have specific guidelines for installation and those should be followed to preserve the warranty.

We are having a San Juan fiberglass pool installed starting this week. The local San Juan PB normally uses sand as a backfill. From many things I have read, I wanted gravel instead of sand. He was happy to accommodate the change.

In looking at PB's, we did meet with the local Viking pool rep. He explained that Viking requires that sand be used for backfill. If sand is not used, Viking will not honor any warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.