New Vinyl pool problems

rkgdmd

Nov 25, 2007
Rockland County, NY
Hello All,

Our pool project continues...a little more slowly and with more problems than I had hoped. During the winter we experienced a sudden loss of water which turned out to be the conduit for LED lighting. Pool builder says these conduits are considered " wet conduits" and sometimes this happens. He palaced epoxy in the housing and the problem seemed to be fixed. We recently had another rather quick loss of water (cause is yet to be determined)...but this time filter was running. It seems pump (Sta Rite 1 1/2 hp) ran overnight sucking nothing but air. I refilled pool and started the pump again and it seems to be working. I am worried about damage to the pump as it has a large warning "DO NOT RUN DRY" stamped on it. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Rob

Does the pool have a main drain? Sometimes even though the pump loses prime due to water falling below the skimmer, there is still some water flow via the drain, which can be enough to cool the pump. The main concern is overheating, which can damage the impeller or housing. The motor itself is air cooled, and doesn't care whether there is water or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.