Conquered Algae, Now on to Balancing...

Jul 21, 2012
Lake Mary, FL
Been battling algae since May. Thanks to TFP, I identified the type of algae (yellow mustard) and learned how to treat it correctly. This morning, pool finally passed the OCLT after 8 days of shocking and a 24/7 filter run -- not looking forward to that utility bill! :shock:

A few questions about maintenance going forward:

1. Based on test results posted below, are we OK to swim? Per various postings on TFP, it's safe to swim up to "regular" shock levels -- for our pool that would be 15 FC. However, the pool only lost 1 ppm FC today, perhaps because it gets full sun for 7 or so hours and has a screen enclosure. Given the current FC of 25, would that mean about a 10 day wait? I'm not sure any of us has that much POP! :-D

2. Since FC is >10 ppm, I'm assuming that is what's pushing up the PH. Do I try to bring PH down now or wait for FC to come down first?

3. I'd like to add borates via Borax. Should I wait for FC and PH to be goal range first?

4. I'd like to keep FC @ minumum mustard algae levels (for us that would be 7.5 ppm) for the rest of the season. Theoretically, would that and borates keep algae at bay? I have a heavy, small kid-centric bather load -- up to 7 kids at once swimming, splashing, etc. for up to 5 hours at a time. Yeah, my house is the house all the friends like to play at during our loooong, hot summers. :wink:

That's it for now, I think. Thanks again for this wonderful forum!

Test results @ 5p
FC - 25
CC - 0.5
pH - Invalid due to high FC but I took it anyway 8.2 - pre-shock it was 7.8
TA - 140
CH - 230
CYA - 50-55
TEMP - 82F
Sparkly, clear blue water ( :whoot: )
Filter run time is now 9a-7p.
Navigator runs when pool is not in use.

Welcome to TFP!

1) You want FC at least below 20 before swimming.
2) Wait for FC to come down to 10 before attempting to adjust PH. The high FC level will throw off the test results.
3) Wait. You need to be able to measure PH before adding borates.
4) That depends on how consistent you are about maintaining the proper FC level. FC around 5 would be fine if you could maintain it consistently. Raising it higher and adding borates both make it easier to insure FC never goes too low, but inattention can still allow even a high FC level to drift down until it is too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.