Pentair motor replacement

PHXAZ

Mar 14, 2009
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
My neighbors' pump motor was making a grinding noise and when I turned it on it started smoking.

Since I have turned out to the neighborhood pool guy, I'll be replacing it for then.

Details -

Pentair
Part 7 - 177475-20
FR - Y56Y
Type - CX

Please suggest a replacement motor, where I can buy it and any tips/tricks for installation.

Thxs

Phxaz

[rul=http://www.troublefreepool.com/pentair-whisperflow-seal-replacement-how-to-w-photos-t10763.html]This topic[/url] covers the disassembly/reassembly process quite well. You won't need to replace all of the seals they did, but you will need to do the shaft seal and impeller removal/reattaching.

Thanks for the quick reply

I have watched youtube vidoes of the shaft seal and impeller remove/replacement. That link is very helpful as well.

I like the suggestion on the pump, but would you have a single speed that you recommend? They are looking to spend as little as possible.

Hence me being the repairman!

Have you taken the pump off to see how the motor runs by itself. Maybe the bearing is just seized up not allowing the motor to turn. I would take it apart and take it to a local electric motor shop and ask them to look at it. That's what I did with my last one and sure enough it was burnt up but there has been other times when a simple repair can be made. For how much new motors cost I would at least look into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.