Ladder fell apart

Jun 3, 2011
We have a one-year old above ground pool -- 18 ft diameter and 52" depth. It came with a ladder that has steps on the inside and a regular ladder access on the outside. We have it filled with sand to weigh it down. Since day one this ladder has given us nothing but trouble. Within a week the bottom step was completely off and has remained that way.

Just today, my kids were playing in the pool when two more steps popped out. My husband got in the pool to try to fix it, but they won't snap into place again.. they'll stay for a few minutes then pop back out. Finally the entire inner part collapsed and when he took it out to try to fix, one of the feet broke off... a peg that sticks out for the foot snap onto broke off, and sand spewed all over the bottom of the pool.

Question one... can the sand be vaccuumed out with the regular pool vaccuum?

And short of buying a new ladder, is there anything we can do to fix this crappy ladder?

I'm not loving our ladder either, and we've only had the pool a month! If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do a new one... look online for a good price. Lots of reviews on amazon too. My neighbor has one where sand goes in a compartment that is part of the steps to weigh it down. My steps have a 'shelf' and we have a couple bleach jugs with quickrete sitting on them to hold it down. Hopefully you can find something that will allow you in and out safely!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.