I have a 18 foot round with 52 inch walls by my calculations I have 7600 gallons with a cartridge filter. I filled it the pool up with well water. I feel like such an idiot. I have no idea [Edited by JohnT] what I am doing. They gave me a bunch of chemicals when I brought the pool. Anyway the pool water was fine and then I threw a couple of chorline pucks in the floatable thing. The water turned a little green. So then I figured I would throw some shock in. I did test it and the PH. is like 7.2 and the chorline was good. Then I went to work came home tonight and tested again and the chrorline is gone. Yes I figured out the sun disolves it. I kept reading about CYA and could not figure what this was. Then I read one of the bottles and it had CYA in it, Anyway I dumped that in. I am curious to see what the morning brings. I guess my question is should I let the filter run all night. I have had it running most of the day and evening since I got home from work. Also moving forward how many hours a day should I run the filter? Also what other steps should be doing if the water does not clear up. I live in NJ and the neighbors do not open the pools till the end of the month till Memorial Day. Also is it okay to leave those chorline pucks in the skimmer. My brother told me to stick a couple in there to get the chorline in the system quicker? Thanks[fade]

Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would say is you are causing problems by tossing in chemistry when you don't know what it is or how much you should use. Sanitized and clear pool water is somewhat like a cooking recipe......tossing in unknown chemistry in unknown quantities will seldom get you an edible cake or a good looking swimming pool.

To get your pool straightened out, you will need to start using a pool calculator (in JasonLion's signature), a good testkit (Taylor 2006C or TF-100), and then keep reading the stickies section in the title bar above. There's lots of good folks here to help answer your questions.

Tell us what your water looks like and post a set of test results and we can help guide you to a crystal clear pool all summer.

Welcome to the forum - check out the pool calc and the stickies. Order a good drops test, but until it arrives (unless its coming overnight air) go out and buy a drops kit from WalMart or KMart to get going. Throw away strips you may have been given, they are junk. This DOES get easier and we are all here to help - ask questions till you are comfortable. : )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.