New Pool Owners! Well Water, Told to put 3 Gal of Mur Acid

Hello! My name is Renee and we just got our new 24 ft pool filled and are starting the pump today. Had some trouble finding the wiring we needed so it slowed us down. Anyway, the pool water was tested by the pool lady here in town and she told us we needed 3 gallons of Muratic Acid to start the pool up with and one gallon of chlorine a week with the chlorine tabs in the skimmer. Can someone please advise if this is OK? We are newbies and not sure what colors and numbers the PH should be reading.
Pool holds almost 14000 gallons of water. Right now the algae is starting to get going and we are freaking out!

Thanks!

Re: New Pool Owners! Well Water, Told to put 3 Gal of Mur A

The forum is all about taking charge of your own pool so you understand what it needs and doesn't.

Well water is often very troublesome if it has iron content. That would be my first test.

There is no way anyone can tell you if the muriatic dose is correct unless you can post your pH test results.

You will certainly need chlorine and lots of it but you will also need CYA.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Welcome! Post us up some of those pool lady test results. You should REALLLY look into getting one of the test kits recommended here and become your own "pool lady".

:shock:

I just did a quick check on pool calculator. A 24' pool, 4' deep holds 13,500 gallons. One gallon of 31.45% Muriatic acid will lower pH 2.28 and TA by 37!! 3 gallons will drop pH 6.3!!!!

Nonononono, don't do it.

You may well need 3 gallons of MA to lower TA, but you certainly don't want to add it all at once. May I ask if this pool store lady also recommended the "slug method" of adding the acid? It might also be called something like "Column" In essence, dump it straight it, don't dilute it or disperse it. She's wrong if she did. There's a study posted somewhere here debunking that - but it's too early for that. Get that pool swimmable first!

In this order: Read the basic stuff in Pool School. Order a proper test kit as defined in pool school.

Yes she did tell me to our that Muratic Acid in "Columns" around the pool. I already have put 2 gallons of the acid in the pool per her recommendations. We told her that we had NOT started the filter yet because we had trouble finding the correct wiring parts for the filter pump. We live WAY out in the boondocks and it's an hour drive each way to get to the hardware store. OK, here is the deal...we have a Pool Test Kit. I took a sample of our water in to the Pool Lady and she tested it. She's been a pool retailer for over 30 years. Our test showed we weren't too bad as far as our PH, we were over the recommended PH by a .1 or so. However, since this test, about 2 days ago, our water has started changing and its turning green. We are getting the filter started today as we drove into town to get the part we needed and we have the chlorine and the chlorine tablets.

I will read the material you all suggested and I will post pics as well. New on here and SO thankful I found this site! I can already tell it is going to be a wonderful asset for me!

Thank you all so very much! :lol:

What pool test kit do you do? The longer you go between taking a sample of water and testing it, the less accurate it is. That's why all of us here test our own pool water with either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. We can start testing seconds after taking a water sample, so its very accurate. You should always trust your own testing.

Good luck and welcome to TFP! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.