LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Went to clear my skimmer basket this afternoon and I found not one, but TWO dead starlings in there. Now, I can see getting one in there every now and then. But, I can't for the life of me figure out how I ended up with two at the same time. Anybody ever get two birds at one time in a skimmer?

Got nothing.

Craig

We have many Coral snakes in this area and I found one in the skimmer last fall. Gave me a good scare, but it was dead. I've also had a 6-inch Centipede turn up in the Polaris bag. They can deliver quite a nasty sting.

I wonder if the two starlings above suffered a mid-air collision over the pool?

HarryH3 said:
I wonder if the two starlings above suffered a mid-air collision over the pool?

I don't know. It was really strange finding them like that in there. I did notice however after adding borax to the pool that the surface tension of the water is much lower now. With the water being so much "wetter" since having borax added, I wonder if that had some sort of effect on the birds. Perhaps they got waterlogged? :?

I'm regularly getting field mice and an occasional rat in there, along with a frog maybe once a week. If the mice have been in there longer than maybe 2 days, all their hair comes off and they're bald. I'll grab a pic next time. This last time, I had 3, one in each skimmer basket (2) and one in the bottom of the pool I had to get with the net. They still had all their hair so they weren't in there too long. No snakes yet, but I assume at some point they'll be one there. We have bermuda hay pastures all around the houses...

As long as the chlorine's up and the animals not in there too long then I don't think you have much to worry about, but if it's been in there awhile and drug the chlorine down some, then you might want to bump it up quickly with some bleach. I check my skimmers usually every other day at minimum so there's not a lot of chance for things to be in there very long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I once found an alligator lizard in my pool. It was about a foot long. When they swim, they look like the full sized reptile. You can imagine seeing its tail moving back and forth. I did a "What the heck is that?"

Also found a mouse sitting on the pool cleaner float. It happened as I got home from work, and my daughter told me it had been there since the morning. When I went to net him, he dove in and started swimming for the bottom of the pool. Mice can swim very well.

By the way, both the reptile and the rodent were successfully relocated in working condition, and neither has been back.

Now, I have two blackbirds that have decided I built the pool for them. They drink, bathe and poo daily. I only wish they would find their way into my skimmer basket.

I once found a squirrel swimming in the pool. Yes it was very much alive and trying to get out. So at least some squirrels can swim.

I lifted it up with a net so it could get out. As I was doing this I told it in no uncertain terms not to come back and to tell all its friend to say away as well. Haven't seen any squirrels since then, so maybe it listened.

Another time I found a mouse and a bird, both dead, in the skimmer. My thinking was the mouse drowned and was floating in the pool. The bird spotted the mouse and thought it would make for a nice easy meal but managed to drown as well.

flintstone said:
I once found an alligator lizard in my pool. It was about a foot long. When they swim, they look like the full sized reptile. You can imagine seeing its tail moving back and forth. I did a "What the heck is that?"

Also found a mouse sitting on the pool cleaner float. It happened as I got home from work, and my daughter told me it had been there since the morning. When I went to net him, he dove in and started swimming for the bottom of the pool. Mice can swim very well.

By the way, both the reptile and the rodent were successfully relocated in working condition, and neither has been back.

Now, I have two blackbirds that have decided I built the pool for them. They drink, bathe and poo daily. I only wish they would find their way into my skimmer basket.

Pellet guns do wonders for curing this problem... :twisted:

Chickens Don't Swim!

I live on a canal with many moscovy ducks. These are the black and white ones with a nasty looking red appendage hanging off it's head.
Every now and then they decide that the sand by my equipment pad is the perfect place to lay eggs. Then they decide that my deck is the perfect place to poop. And since my pool is so near by, they can wash and swim in there too...along with the poop.

That wasn't enough for my wife.
One year she went out and bought two snowy white ducks, the kind with the yellow beaks, and a chicken, all at the baby age. We could take them in the yard and they would follow us around. They would never leave the yard and stuck together. Guess the chicken though the ducks were his big brothers. One of the white ducks had a tuft of hair that stuck up like a Sanjaya Mohawk. We called him Moe. How cute right?
It wasn't long before the white ducks were getting bigger and housing them indoor and in a warm rubbermaid tub just wasn't big enough anymore.

We tried urging them to swim in the canal. No luck. We'd literally throw them in, they would swim out and walk right back to the house. We used a different rubbermaid tub with water for them to swim in. Worked for a little while.
One such time, we put the ducks in and leave, like we did many times before. The Chicken walks around the yard, pecking at beetles, grass, whatever caught it's attention. The ducks are in the tub swimming and bathing and naturally pooping, and along comes the chicken. Hops up to the edge of the tub, my guess is that he loses his balance and in he goes.

30 minutes later, we come out and the ducks are now in the yard but no chicken to be found. The kids go roaming the neighborhood and around the canal and again, no luck. As they were away, I go to clean up their swimming tub and there's this little dark object floating around. Too large to be duck Crud...

SO..after the funeral, we "relocate" the ducks to a large lake with other white ducks. This was right before Hurricane Wilma hit us. Don't rightly know where they ended up, but if you should happen to see two white ducks, one with a mohawk, say hi to Moe for me.

OK, so a dead chicken in a rubbermaid tub is not the same as two birds in a skimmer.

So what else doesn't float? I had a Cuban Anole (about a foot long green lizard) partially decomposed in the throat of my StaRite Great White suction cleaner. I've removed dead small iguanas from my leaf trap, the bigger ones can swim very well. I've relocated a family of 15 baby turtles from my pool to the canal. HOW they got there I don't know.
Occasionally, I see one of those Jesus lizards (Basilic) walking across by deck, but I've never been able to sneak up on it to make it run across the water.
Rats and mice are excellent swimmers. It's when it comes to the edge and there's no way to get out that it drowns. There are little floating devices that anchor to the side available, and allows the rodent to get out safely. :lol:

Funny mention of the borates and waters surface tension... our company use to sell a product called DUCK OFF. It would reduce the surface tension and when the duck realized that it was starting to sink, it would fly off. RIGHT. After hearing of several cases of dead ducklings at the bottom of the pool, we pulled the product. :shock:

A nearby water bowl or fountain can be set up just for them and may prevent them from coming to the pool for a drink.

Fortunately, I have not found any strange dead critters in my skimmer basket yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.