Plumbing Questions

et247

Jun 23, 2012
I have a couple of question about the plumbing for the returns. They are plumbed with 1.5" PVC and connected as shown in the attached picture. The pool is 6' x 35' gunite pool (~28k gallons) with a 7' x 12' tanning ledge. The pump is a 2 hp variable speed.

1. First, I was told that the returns would be plumbed in a loop, but this is how they were run. When I questioned the PB about it they said it would be fine this way because the eyeballs are 3/4" and will neutralize the line. Should the loop be plumbed in to help maintain the pressure on the returns furthest away from the equipment?

2. The return at the top left of the drawing was run part of the way down the wall of the gunite shell while all of the others were run around the shell and just a straight section of pipe is sticking through the shell. I would think the last return should have been run the same as the others. I would think that you would want the minimum amount of piping/connection points inside the gunite, but I wasn't sure if this is acceptable.

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• Return Plumbing.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 49
You can equalize the flow by putting smaller eyeballs in the returns closest to the source line and then succesively larger as the returns get to the end. It is nice that you have so many and I think that would make for a satisfactory solution.

I'm not sure I understand #2..... You are not saying there will be visible piping inside the finished pool, are you?

I'm not sure why the plumbing didn't finish the loop. From a material standpoint he was almost there.

Around here, it's common to have most of the plumbing inside the gunite. The cement prevents movement of the pipe and connections which could cause a leak.

Thanks for the quick replies.

duraleigh said:
I'm not sure I understand #2..... You are not saying there will be visible piping inside the finished pool, are you?

No, there will not be visible plumbing in the pool. I just didn't know if it was common to have the plumbing run inside the gunite since they didn't do that anywhere else.

bigdav160 said:
I'm not sure why the plumbing didn't finish the loop. From a material standpoint he was almost there.

That was my thought as well. I didn't know if the eyeballs were going to be enough restriction to make sure that the returns at the end of the runs had sufficient pressure.

From my research, I would want a closed loop, this will remove any possible controversy and you mentioned, it was as per the contract. Any pipes in gunite are more difficult to repair then pipes just below grass or decking.
All just my 2 cents :) Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.