Sink & Sweep Cartridge Filter

Jul 27, 2012
My husband was trying to clean up a really bad algae problem in our pool and he purchased Sink & Sweep based on information that he found on the internet. The algae coagulated and sunk to the bottom as it was supposed to, but when he started to sweep it up, he found that it was just blowing back out. After looking at the bottle, he found that it states NOT to use it on pools with a cartridge filter. There is no information about this on the Aqua Chem site. The algae is not sticking to the filter at all. What should we do at this point?

Welcome. You should read in pool school on how to properly shock your pool.............post back your testing numbers here, and ask any particular questions you might have.

We are concerned at this point that the Sink & Sweep has added something that prevents the large algae particles from sticking to the cartridge filter since the Sink & Sweep specifically says not to use it with a cartridge filter. What I am actually trying to find out is how to counteract the flocing effects of the Sink & Sweep so that the cartridge filter will once again pick up the algae.

solid particles do not "stick" to your filter.....they are captured by it....they can't get through. Since you have particles getting through your filter, something is wrong with it or you have some valves positioned incorrectly.

The product you used has nothing to do with your issue.

I have a cartridge and no problem. I think the reason you aren't supposed to use that floc is because it adds oils or something to your cartridge. Oil is a pain in the butt to clean off. I think you have another problem with your filter. Can you take it apart and inspect it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.