No good deed goes unpunished ;)

nhguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2011
Southern NH
I'm on the second year of BBB started with a new pool - couldn't be happier, never had a problem, my pool is perfect (sorry for bragging). My neighbor and great friend has had a pool for 30 years, always had problems and has consistently been pool store'd and sick of his algae problems. When he asked about my pool and what I do (never gave him a hard sell) He bought a TF-100 and everyone in his family is so excited about his sparkly pool.

My problem: Now I get to be the expert in clearing his brother-in-laws swamp. I'm getting a bunch of info second hand. He's spent $800 this season, trying to clear it(I didn't even ask what he's been sold). I have no experience in swamps, but I'm confident I understand the basic chemistry.

Numbers reported in the text asking for help tonight: 27 ft round AGP - estimated at 18,000
CYA 0 PH 8.2 FC 1.0 CC 1.0.

I don't have a lot of free time. I plan to win. This is my punch list, please give me feedback:
#1) get the pump on 24/7 and make sure he monitors the pressure/backwashes when necessary.
#2) retest CYA - they have 12lbs of dichlor on hand, if it is truley 0, I plan to add 6lbs, retest (when?) and then adjust if necessary
#3) reduce PH to 7.2 - has 5lbs of "lo and slow" on hand - not sure of make, etc - but will target 50% decrements and restest until target is achieved.
#4) we brush the entire pool. He does it at least once a day until the crisis is over.
#5) add CL (figuring in #2) to bring to shock level (CYA chart)
#6) repeat testing/adding every hour for the first 6 hours.
#7) Continue procedures until the 3 shocking criteria are met

Am i missing anything?
Thanks!

Looks good to me except I would want to know what he was sanitizing it with. May help you in the long run. If tabs then the CYA number may be wrong, if Baquacil then you know you have a huge amount of chlorine to continue adding. Otherwise, good job being a helper. You can usually recoup favors like when you go on vacation and you need your pool looked after.

If the guy's already spent $800, he might not balk at the easiest solution: drain it all and start from scratch. 'long as it holds water and the filter works, you'll have him sparkling in a couple days. Maybe a little longer, if it takes a long time to fill..

Thanks Richard - definitely going to keep that option in mind. I haven't seen the swamp yet - I should get over there about 11:00 AM tomorrow after the jimmy fund cancer fund little league tournament finishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your using DiChlor make sure you test PH and TA first. If his CYA is really 0 then 12 lbs of DiChlor will give you 40 ppm of CYA. The first 6 lbs, depending on his TA will lower his PH almost a full point so leave it at 8.2 If it's not, adjust his PH on the high side. I also would make sure his TA is at least 100 because that's going to go down 20 or more.

Other than that it looks like you have a good plan in place. Good on you for paying it forward. That's a very nice gesture on your part.

I didn't see a CH result. If CYA is truely 0 then they may have been using cal-hypo all this time and the CH would be very high. When you make your first visit, look through the chems he has, write down what they are and the main ingrediants. Find out how often they use them and take pictures of it, the pool and the equipment pad. Run a complete set of tests with your kit and post results here. We will be your cheerleaders/back seat advisors while you tackle this project!

Things going well. Started sat morning 10 am. Wasn't quite a swamp, but couldn't see bottom of 4 foot pool, ick! PH now down to 7.2, cya is up to 20 (using dichlor on hand). CH is 120. He's testing hourly during the day (already bought a tf100 and speed stirrer!). He already had went out and got 14 gallons of 12.5 click, on his brother in laws advice. He's adjusting with 12.5 liquid only keeping greater than 10 cl (I told him keep it a couple higher assuming some cc) . Only brushed once, encouraging him to do at least daily. He's staying on top of filter pressure.

He seems really into it and he's encouraged that it's lightening up a bit already .

I'll keep updating, thanks for the support!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.