Brand New Hayward H250 FDN heater leaking

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
My 3 year old Hayward H250 FDN started leaking and it was replaced last week with an identical model. I just noticed tonight that water was leaking from the exact same area. What could be causing this. My chemistry is spot on other than my CL which is about 7 ppm after tonight's test. The only thing that has changed in 3 years is that the concrete pad has settled a bit so the heater is not seated perfectly level. Almost, but not perfect. Could this cause a problem? Any ideas would be welcome.

I just dipped a test strip in the pool/drippings, and there was no CL registered. If this is condensation, can it lead to a bigger problem? What can I do about it?

Dip strips don't cut it. Please get a proper drop based kit that has FAS-DPD powder for testing free and either combined or total chlorine. Your test results will be accurate then. We suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 series kits.

You didn't say where the leak is with the heater.

When did the pad settle, before or after the heater was replaced?

Scott

I have the TF100 test kit. The amount dripping is not sufficient enough to collect to test with the kit, that's why I used the strip. The wet area was damp enough to saturate the CL pad on the strip and no color change occurred.
As for the concrete pad, it has settled a bit each year over the past 3 years. The leak stopped and did not return over night while the heater was turned off. I suspect condensation but not sure the cause.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Take a picture and upload here to show us where the heater is leaking. If the pad settled then when the unit was replaced they should have shimmed it to make sure it was level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.