My numbers

PAGirl

TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2012
Central PA
Only got the HTH kit so far, (going to order a better one over the winter, for sure!) but here are the numbers I came up with so far:

FC 3.0
PH 7.2
TA 110-120 (Have to get a better feel for when it changes)
CH 150

I wanted to do the CYA, but it was getting ready to rain, again, so I didn't try it, since there's only enough to do it twice. I am guessing I can leave the TA where it is, since my PH is low, is that correct? My PH has been at 7.2 most of the summer, and the only time it went up was when I added Borax. I tested the TA of my tap water just for the heck of it, and it was 100. My chlorine seems to stay pretty even, no unusual large losses, and the water is pretty clear. I know it would be even clearer if I would get the sand filter, but planning on that over the winter, too. Since there's only about 5 weeks of swimming weather in PA, at most, I am going to wait to get it.

PAGirl:

Those numbers look good to me. The pH is right on the low end of the optimal range, so keep an eye on that. You indicated that pH is stable, so I would leave TA alone for now. The CYA result is crucial in determining your target FC. Once you do the CYA test, post those results and we'll take it from there. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Hopefully! I really need to get in and clean the bottom. We have had some wind and storms the past few days. I got out what I could from the outside, but it was kind of chilly and rainy today. It did stop long enough for me to run a few tests and add a little bleach, but that's about it! We are the part of Pennsylvania without a drought, that's for sure!!

Finally got a chance to test the CYA this morning. The solution never changed at all, so I could still see the dot even after filling it all tHe way. I am assuming I have any CYA after all? I find that hard to believe, as I don't seem to lose chlorine very quickly, and don't have an algae problem.

Bama Rambler said:
As long as you followed the directions and you haven't used a chlorine source that adds CYA you probably don't have any.

What have you been using to chlorinate the pool to this point?

At the start of the season I used 2 bags of shock and 2 pucks. Can't remember which type of shock it was. That was at the end of May, before I started using liquid chlorine/bleach.

Ok so CYA is essentially 0. Get that up to 30 ppm, if there is any in the pool (from dichlor perhaps) you may end up at 35.

Get familiar with the Pool Calculator, put in the volume of your pool and use vinyl as the surface. Use TFP goals. Then add your current values in the first column, input the suggested goals as the goal and see what it tells you to do. Check back here before you actually do anything, not everything needs doing really.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.