HELP - Do I have Algae or What????

Bent6

May 12, 2012
Jackson, TN
Went out to clean pool this am and found all kinds of this yellow/orangish stuff along the seams all over the bottom of the pool. It almost looks like pollen but I doubt that's possible this time of year - or is it? It's been a relatively dry summer but every time it rains it seems like this pops up. I've also notice the water hasn't seemed quite as clear as of lately. When I brush this stuff it goes everywhere clouding up the water.

My FC levels stay between 3.5 and 4.5. I tested it this morning and it was FC 4.0 with CC at 0. This would indicate nothing organic in the pool - correct? Then WTH is this stuff?

I've got the Dolphin in the pool cleaning up the stuff with my pump on 3800 rpms in an attempt to turn the water through the filter more than usual. We have guest coming in town this evening and the plan was to hang out by the pool tomorrow. Any help/advice is appreciated!

FC 4.0 - 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 70
CYA 55

The 0 CC test result does not mean there is no algae present. The only way to confirm that is to shut off the SWG one evening and perform an OCLT. See Pool School if you decide to do that.

Now, if it truly is enough to cloud your pool when you brush it, there is a good chance it is dead algae and you would need to shock the pool.

I planned on doing the overnight test tonight. The water is currently cloudy - primarily in the deep end. You can still see the bottom of the deep end - it's just not clear. Whatever it is is all stirred up from vaccuming and running the pump at high speed.

My biggest problem is that we have guests coming in town tonight and were planning to use the pool tomorrow. Is there any harm in using it tomorrow and starting the shock process Sunday when I have time to devote to maintaining it at shock levels?

I don't understand how this has happened as I have been diligent about maintaining the proper chemical levels. The FC has stayed at 3.5 and higher and the CC has never been more than 0. The only thing I can come up with is there was a storm that came through about 3-4 weeks ago while I was out of town that tripped my pump breaker. The FC got down to about 2.0 but the CC was still 0. I added bleach to get it back up quickly and the SWG has kept it at the 4.0 range since. Could that minor hiccup in the FC level have caused this? I haven't shocked the pool all year as the test results have never given me a reason to think it needed shocking.

You can swim safely up to shock level so, if the pool is a little cloudy but you could see someone in distress, Go swimming.

Secondly, if you take it up to shock value right now, it may be clear by tomorrow.

I have no idea how it happened but always use judgement and don't rely on the test kit to manage your pool......use it as a tool to help you manage your pool.

Cloudy water is almost always an indicator there is a problem.

Thanks for the advice. I'm loading up with bleach right now.

I know the slightly cloudy water should have been my initial indicator.

So you mean to tell me that it's OK to let the kids swim when the FC is as high as 28-30 which is the recommended shock level for my pool? I've always been told wait until it falls to the 3.5 range but there again that was from the pool winch at the pool store. :roll:

Bent6 said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm loading up with bleach right now.

I know the slightly cloudy water should have been my initial indicator.

So you mean to tell me that it's OK to let the kids swim when the FC is as high as 28-30 which is the recommended shock level for my pool? I've always been told wait until it falls to the 3.5 range but there again that was from the pool winch at the pool store. :roll:
At a 55 CYA level your shock level is 22 ppm Chlorine. Anything up to or under that is fine as long as everything else is in order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.