still cloudy water and high chlorine level

Jul 24, 2012
OK. I got my TF-100 yesterday, but I have not had a chance to use it due to a family emergency. I was headed out by the dealer who tests my water, so I got my water sample tested.

TA - 90
CH - 210
FC - 5.0
TC - 5.0
OH - 7.4
CYA - 40
Phosphates - trace

My water turned green almost 3 weeks ago (my fault and admit it! - large amount of pool activity, temps in the high 90's and no chlorine) , and I have yet to get things under control. I was shocking with TurboShock by Poolife, because I that's all I had. I have since purchased 10% liquid chlorine. If I am correct, at this point, I should not shock anymore and maybe let things settle. Am I correct?

Also, my fiberglass steps are now a nice shade of yellow. How can I clean these?

I would say you haven't started yet. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

First step is to do your own testing. You have the kit. Do not be surprised if your results are far different than the pool store results. If there's a huge discrepancy, repeat the test. I'll bet your two tests are very close to each other if you do. By the way, when you do the CYA test, take your reading, pour it back in the mixing bottle, take another reading, and so on. Until you start seeing a regular pattern within 5 of each other. That's your number.

Armed with knowledge, you're ready to start. First question: what is the CYA? If it's way high, shocking will be difficult. You may need to drain some pool water and refill with fresh. Then, adjust pH to about 7.2. You won't be able to check it accurately during the shock process, so don't bother. Just make sure you get it right before the first jug of bleach is opened.

Then, referring back to your CYA level, look up what the "shock level" is for that CYA. Pool Calculator can tell you, if you plug in all your numbers as well as the pool surface and so on. Enter your current FC level, set the shock level as target, and get your bleach quantity. Be sure to enter strength. Then, bombs away!

It's all in pool-school/shocking_your_pool and turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

What you're doing is killing algae faster than it can reproduce. It's a fight to the death. Knock it down and keep hitting it until it can't get back up.

I've received a few criticisms of this, because it does show the algae slightly rebounding, but here is a what's happening. If you skip on of the frames where the bleach goes in, the green will get a lot bigger.
file.php

Happy Sunday. OK. I have been testing with my new TF-100 kit and I love it! CYA is 50. I got my FC shock level up to 20 last night, using liquid chlorine. I came up with this figure off of Pool School. This morning, the FC reading is 17. So, I know I have to keep the shock level up to eventually pass the OCLT test.

I need to replace some water. Should I do this now and then work on the FC level and Shock level after I put in new water?

By the way. This morning has been the 1st time in 3 weeks I have been able to see the bottom of the deep end of my pool. I have a way to go, but I am definitely seeing progress! THANK YOU!

When you say you need to replace some water I assume you are just topping off the pool. That should not have that big of an affect on your FC levels, just make sure you get up your FC level up to the shock values (if not a little over to allow for drop off).

Due to the granular shock I was using in the past, my calcium level is high. We have been having alot of rain here in Ohio, and I need to drop the water level and add some fresh. Last week, my pool took in 4 inches of rain water in 2 days. Mother nature has been dumping way too much rain for my liking.

Another question: When I take some water out of my pool should I backwash to waste and not go thru the filter, or go ahead and go thru the filter and get it good a clean?

Either way will work and I've done it both ways. A long baskwash gives your filter a good cleaning and even helps resettle the bed a little. When you don't want to go through the backwash is if you've added floc or you're cleaning out a lot of algae or dirt.

Another question. Part of my pool package when I purchased my pool was a Dirt Devel pool cleaner. I hate it. When it is hooked up to the skimmer, the hose collapses after a while and it doesn't get around the entire pool.

I have been reading up on pool cleaners and there are so many to choose from. I would like to keep it under $500. Any thoughts?

I'm not one to ask. I enjoy manually vacuum so jerky never even gets in the pool.

However, your problem sounds like you don't have a vacuum regulator. The regulator keeps the suction from being too strong and collapsing the hose or "sticking" the cleaner to the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got out the manual on my Dirt Devil pool cleaner, and found out that there is a regulator available. I saw the picture of it and realized that we did have one of these. I found it, installed it on the hose, and the pool cleaner is working just fine. The "Pool People" who sold us the pool showed us how to use it - apparently wrong!

I have been clueless about this pool since I got it. I knew nothing about pools, but wanted one. After all - how hard could it be!!!!!!! I have asked for help from a couple of pool dealers, and it seems I have been getting bad advise/information and little to no help. I was to the point where I seriously thought I should not have a pool.

I went out this morning to get my morning water sample, and I could actually see the entire bottom of the deep end. There was a small amount on the bottom of the pool that needed vacuumed. After vacuuming for about 15 minutes, the handle on the vacuum head that attaches to the pole broke off. Yet, more frustration.

This site and the help and advise I have been receiving has opened up my eyes to what I have been doing wrong, and what I should be doing! Thank you so much for being there and helping me.

Just follow the advice that you are given here... it will make your life much easier (at least as far as your pool is concerned :) ) You will be amazed at just how easy it is to have a sparkly clear pool that you KNOW is safe for you and your loved ones.

This is a picture of my pool after 3 weeks of working with a pool dealer to get it clean and clear.[attachment=1:1urxmnc0]before pics.jpg[/attachment:1urxmnc0]

Here is a picture I took today. I started testing on 7-27 and using all the methods suggested by TFP. [attachment=0:1urxmnc0]after pics-2.jpg[/attachment:1urxmnc0]

When I tested this morning, I had lost only 2 on my FC since last night, and my CC is .5. Water is pretty dog gone clear! But, I know I am not done.

Thank you!

Attachments

• before pics.jpg
    before pics.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 197
  • after pics-2.jpg
    after pics-2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 197
Mellott98 said:
I have another question. Due to all the "stuff" in my water previously, my steps are stained. Any suggestions for getting them clean?

Looks like you're getting there and you know to stay on it until you pass all 3 criteria for shocking. Well done.

I use a Magic Eraser on my stairs, works great. Make sure it's the original one without any extras or chemicals.

I have been testing with the TF100 at least 3 times a day and adding liquid chlorine to keep my shock level up. I am brushing the pool every day. My CC is .5, and my water is crystal clear. PH is 7.5 Yet, I seem to be losing at least 3 during the night for the past 2 nights. Is there anything else I should be doing?

My granddaughter is coming for a visit this weekend and I know she is expecting to swim. So am I.

Mellott98 said:
After vacuuming for about 15 minutes, the handle on the vacuum head that attaches to the pole broke off. Yet, more frustration.

Was it the little plastic thingamajig that holds the handle to the tool? Did you get that replaced already? Being a newbie when mine broke I wondered if they were available and lucky me they were and cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.