Starting on borates. Help confirm calculations.

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Plan to try the borates this weekend, and would like to confirm my calculations before starting.

Here are my current levels:

CYA 50
TA 70
FC 5
CC 0
CH 30
ph 7.2

I plan to raise borates to 30 this evening and up to 50 tomorrow. For my 8,000 gallon pool I have calculated (using Pool Calculator) that I need to add:

283 oz. of 20 Mule Team Borax
135 oz. of 31.45% Muriatic acid

Can someone confirm (or refute) these calculations based on my current TA reading of 70 and my borderline pH of 7.2 which does not want to move. Thanks all.

Also, does 20 degrees baume guarantee that the muriatic acid is 31.45%? (forget that question, just figured it out.)
GC

Legitimate concern. Please wear goggles. I hate that stuff. I now also wear the 'fume' type of respirator mask as well because I always end up upwind it seems no matter how I move...(I had a respirator left over from varnishing my hardwood floors...) Oh, and rubber gloves!

Why two days? Divide the 50 ppm in two doses and be done with it. It took me about 20 minutes for the whole process. The hardest part is the calculations, procurement of ingredients and getting up the nerve to pour that first half of the acid in the pool.

After I poured that first dose of acid I ran full speed around my filter to get to the borax. Tripped over a hose and went arse over tin cup. I let everything mix for about 5 minutes and tested the PH at 3 different spots. Every thing was fine. I guess I should have walked around the filter. :oops: :-D

GreatCanadian said:
I only have enough borax to bring me to 40 ppm. I bought all the borax they had on the shelf today. And 30 ppm allows me to use one full jug of acid. So I figured I'd dose the 30 this evening when I get home from work, and look for more borax tomorrow. I have weird logic.
That makes perfect sense. I don't like measuring out acid into another container unless I have to. Might as well shoot for 60 ppm and keep the logic going. You're pretty smart for a Canagian. :-D :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lol. Watch it!! It's bad enough that you Americans took our Stanley Cup !! And have been making a habit of it lately!!
Oooh. Just noticed you're from Philly. Flyers fan? If so, you're hurtin' too! :)

That being said, your idea of dosing to 60 is a pretty good idea. You're pretty smart for an American!!

GreatCanadian said:
Lol. Watch it!! It's bad enough that you Americans took our Stanley Cup !! And have been making a habit of it lately!!
Oooh. Just noticed you're from Philly. Flyers fan? If so, you're hurtin' too! :)
Been hurtin since 1975. Thanks for reminding me. :( :)

GreatCanadian said:
That being said, your idea of dosing to 60 is a pretty good idea. You're pretty smart for an American!!
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. :shock:

I added 4 boxes of Borax and a 4 liter jug Muriatic acid. Found a 3/4 liter jug Muriatic acid from last year. Added that and another box of borax. Plus the bit of borax I added a few days ago to increase pH. Borates should be about 40 ppm now. Added this stuff 3 hours ago and just tested for pH. It's at 7.5. So far so good!!

Well, all I managed to do since adding the borates is test for pH. Which is at 7.5. Other than that the pool has remained covered as we didn't have a chance to get swimming!! Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll get to try it out. Or at least have a look at it in the sunshine to see if it does indeed sparkle a bit more.

GreatCanadian said:
Well, all I managed to do since adding the borates is test for pH. Which is at 7.5. Other than that the pool has remained covered as we didn't have a chance to get swimming!! Hopefully within the next couple of days I'll get to try it out. Or at least have a look at it in the sunshine to see if it does indeed sparkle a bit more.
Pics or it didn't happen--just sayin. Hard to trust a Hab fan so before and afters would be better. :p :lol:

Hate the guy but have to give him his due. Early in his career he couldn't win a faceoff even if his life depended on it. Now he's one of the best faceoff men in the league.

Same goes for the Habs. Can't stand em but you have to respect their storied history even if they did have an unfair advantage in the draft during their early years. Same goes for the fans. Passionate is an understatement when describing them. Buddies of mine went up there for a playoff game against the Flyers. While they were out on the town after the game they were approached by some "ladies of the evening." Halfway into their pitch, one of the ladies noticed a Flyers jersey in the group. She turned to the others, spit out some French to her friends and all of them turned on their heels and left and all of them giving the finger to my boys. Gotta love that commitment to a team. :)

yeggim said:
Pics or it didn't happen--just sayin. Hard to trust a Hab fan so before and afters would be better. :p :lol:

Here ya go. I honestly didn't recognize how big a difference there was til I looked at these pictures. The second picture is pretty poor quality (taken with cell phone) but it does show the difference. Pretty certain the borates could not account entirely for the drastic difference, but the shimmer is a result of the borates for sure:

Before borates:
LKdNp.jpg

After borates:
u1Ash.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.