Large LED light for SPA

fern88

Jul 27, 2012
Hi All,

Thanks for the great forum....

I have a pool built in the 80's that in the spa, it has a light that is the same size as the pool light. I was thinking of replacing them with the Pentair Intellibright LED 5G lights, but I'm concerned that it will be too bright in the spa vs. the pool. Anybody know if this is the case or should I be okay? Currently my pool light works fine but my spa light has a short, so I thought it might be a good time to upgrade them both since they are the halogen type.

Thanks so much

fern88:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Most LED lights should list an equivalent brightness compared to standard (mostly halogen) pool lights. However, the color temperature of the light may cast a slightly different color than the light it would replace. Color temperatures over 5,000K are called cool colors and cast a blueish white color while lower color temperatures (2,700–3,000 K) are called warm colors and cast more of a yellowish white color. See if the LED light lists a color temperature.

Before you spend the $ on the LEDs, ask yourself how often you plan on using the light. I'm a big fan of LEDs for in-house applications. However LEDs for pool/spa applications are rather pricey. Aside from addressing the short in your spa light (which I would do ASAP), if your motivation for going with the LEDs over a standard replacement is energy savings, I doubt you would ever see payback compared to a standard light unless you use the light daily for several hours.

Thanks for the info BoDarville

Yeah, my concern was that the LED lights would be the same identical ones for both the pool and spa so in the Pentairs, they would be 50 watt LEDs which are equivalent in brightness to a 300 watt halogen. The spa is not very big, so the brightness in the spa would be very high.

At the end, I think I probably will take your advice and just replace the spa light with another halogen.

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.