I am using a Saltron Retro
I have green light for good salt level.set to run 20 hrs a day for now
I ordered the TF-100

So the SWG is running I see the smokey exhaust
Water is super clear
I get my kit and check FC and PH
FC=0
PH=8.2

I figure i need to add Chlorine, I do some more research and check the Pool Calculator
According to it I need to add 168 oz of 6% Bleach
I get that at Walmart I add 182 oz
Today I check again and also check for CYA, after doing more research
FC=0
PH8.2
CYA=0

SWG still running 20 hrs a day Pool still clear

Im confused how the CF still equals Zero

So tonight I added Smart Liquid shock 1 gallon and 6 oz of HTH #2 it says Trichloro in a floating container
I think if I did my home work that the HTH will bring up my CYA

I bet I will still need to add a conditioner to bring it up to 60 or 80
But the store was out, I hope my wife gets it at lunch tomorrow.
I will run all of the tests tomorrow after work

I am sure that once everything is balanced the SWG will work just fine, and I should check Cf every couple of days.

What else am I missing? I will run all of the other tests after I get the CF-PH-CYA all set, I just didn't want to get to overwhelmed and I am already it appears
No pool use as of yet I hope to have everything squared away for this weekend

Re: New and No CF

When CYA is zero, you lose chlorine very quickly to sunlight. You should raise CYA/stabilizer/conditioner to around 40 to 50 for now, and then raise it further later. You don't want to add too much CYA at one time, as lowering the level is difficult. Safer to raise it a bit right now, and then more later instead of risking adding too much.

You need to bring your PH down. You never want to let PH get above 8.0. Since the PH test only goes up to 8.2, your actual PH might be much higher.

Re: New and No CF

Do you have any muriatic or dry acid to use to lower pH? That should be done right away. Shoot for around 7.2, and the pH will likely rise again due to the SWG.

The trichlor tablet you added is acidic and will also lower pH a little, so make sure to test pH before you lower it. Additionally, when you calculate your CYA, take into account the weight of all the trichlor tablets you've used and deduct that from the amount of CYA you add.

At the bottom of the Pool Calculator you will see a field where you can enter in values of chemicals and pull up a result of all the effects it will have on your pool water. I can't remember the weight of a 3" tablet but I believe it's somewhere around 7oz. I hope someone will correct me if that's wrong. You can weigh the tablet of course and I know it's been discussed here on the forum (search).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.