How deep???

quinn

May 5, 2011
So friends we are getting ready to build a new house and pool this winter and it's time to harden some of the plans. The kids are getting older so we feel a pool deep enough to dive into is in order. We will not have a diving board just diving from the edge. Our last pool was 6 feet deep and I didn't allow diving as a precaution. The plan is for something around 20X40.

We are getting a diving board and it's minimum of 8, ours goes to 8 1/2. Also, the deep end of the pool has a minimum size. My pool is approx the size you suggested with the deep end. I have teens and went down the same thought process you are. Good luck!

I have a diving pool. It's 16 x 32 x 8. If I was to build a pool knowing what I do now, I'd build it more than 8 foot deep and I'd extend the deep end out farther. If I dive straight down, my hands will easily hit the bottom. If I dive outward a little bit, it's getting shallower at that point and I come very close to hitting my head on the bottom. It's "deep enough" but I would like it another foot or so deep and a couple feet farther out but that's just me.
I'd guess it would also depend on how large of a diving board you are talking about. The larger the diving board, the higher it is to bounce and the deeper you would go.
Just sayin'

Mesamav said:
I have a diving pool. It's 16 x 32 x 8. If I was to build a pool knowing what I do now, I'd build it more than 8 foot deep and I'd extend the deep end out farther. If I dive straight down, my hands will easily hit the bottom. If I dive outward a little bit, it's getting shallower at that point and I come very close to hitting my head on the bottom. It's "deep enough" but I would like it another foot or so deep and a couple feet farther out but that's just me.

For the sake of anyone who might read this, I think it's worth noting that a 16' x 32' pool really doesnt allow for what is being suggested here while still being practical. If the pool were any deeper than 8' and the diving envelope extended out further, the usuable space in the shallow would be severely compromised. There are pool building codes that dictate the allowable slope/incline from deep to shallow that you would be up against.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.