CompuPool Generic AquaRite T-Cell. A new owners story..

Jul 23, 2012
I have had my salt pool for about 8 years now. The SWG and controller is a Hayward T-Cell-15 and an Aqua Rite.
Until just recently I was on my 2nd SWC cell. The first died at age 3 years. The second started showing problems
a few weeks ago, age 5ish years (Woo Hoo !). No problems with the Aqua Rite at all.

The symptoms of the 2nd cell dieing were erratic salt readings (wildly high then low) and a lack of chlorine in the pool.

I found the CompuPool generic replacement on the web and ordered one.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...mpupool/genericaquarite/products/3GRC40GH.htm

It turned up. I plugged it in. Salt reading matched the results from a test strip. It worked for a day.
No power LED anymore. Voltage displayed was 7 to 8 volts.
No chlorine being generated.

I got back on the web site and looked at the 'questions' tab on the site I linked above. Every question
was either 'how do I calibrate the cell?' or 'my power LED is off and the thing is dead'.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...mpupool/genericaquarite/products/3GRC40GH.htm

I used the on-line chat feature and talked to a CS person at Pool Supply World who was very helpful.
However, she asked what revision level my controller was at. 1.33 software, 1.4 'mother board' was the answer.
Oh, she said. The generic SWG is not compatible with controller units that old. She said she would get me an RMA and
I could return the unit for only the cost of shipping and a discounted 10% restocking fee. Indeed, she got me the
RMA number. She made me feel 'special' because the restocking fee is normally 20%.

Nowhere does it say (on the web site) that the generic SWG is not compatible with older units. She didn't want to talk about that.

What about my control unit, I asked. Are you going to replace that for me ?
No, was the answer. You can't prove that was our fault.

So, I was out of pocket for the cost of return shipping, 10% of the cost and now I needed a new Aqua Rite circuit board.
Nice. That will teach me to be cheap, I thought.

I looked at the control board and sure enough, the current limiter was all scorched. So I did the next cheap thing and ordered
a new current limiter and soldered it in (just tonight). I didn't return the generic SWG.

I just finished rebuilding the control unit and got everything plugged in with the generic SWG again.
Its working and generating chlorine with correct salt readings.

I am going to monitor it very closely for the next month or so. I suspect that the 'incompatibility' story is just something that's
trotted out to folks whose power LED is now off and Pool Supply World don't want the hassle. That's why it isn't documented on
their web site. It may, or may not happen.

We will see. I am prepared to bite the bullet on this one, just to see..

I will keep everyone who is interested updated if things change..

BTW, the clear housing of the generic SWG lets you see if chlorine is being generated. Its very cool.
In general, I like the unit. Still, its only worked for a total of less than 48 hours so far ! :)

I would be happy to answer any questions about the unit, given my brief experience with it.

Steve.

I by the current limiters by the dozens.

FYI make sure your Aquarite is correctly grounded and bonded. ie Bonding wire to ground rod, and PCB board tightly secured to unit with the two screws in the bottom. Most times I replace they CLs is from people not doing one or both of the above. Also tends to protect systems in areas like mine with lots of lightening.

So far, so good. The pool has been running normally since the weekend.

I had to turn down the generating %age as it be generating too much chlorine. I was at 35% (with the old cell) an now at 25%.
Maybe the old cell was, just, old.. Or the new cell is more efficient or draws more power. I don't remember the old cell's volt/amp
average readings !

Steve.

Thanks Steve.
I emailed them last week about the replacement cells and they recommended the oem aquarite cell over the compupool.

I'm going to be picking one up before too long. I'll keep an eye on this to see how it's working for you.
I'm still trying to figure out if my problem is the cell, board, or a combination of both.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have installed a couple of these with good success. I have my clients buy them, and then I install. I have had to do three, and all three needed the current limiter as well...

Steve,

Is it possible for you to post a picture or two showing where the current limiter is? I have not replaced my cell yet (going on 7 years so I feel lucky), but would like to be prepared if this happens when I do change.

The one thing I did notice is that CompuPool seems to have the lowest prices on OEM replacement cells plus free shipping. It looks like around $75 to $100 in savings...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.