Need new pump, filter and cleaner

KenJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2008
Glenside, PA
Can use some help, especially those who live to calculate head feet, etc.

This will be the 9th summer in our house and it's time to replace some equipment. I'm looking to get a new pump, sand filter and cleaner.

I have a 16x32 in-ground vinyl pool, 4 ft to 8 ft., @ 21,000 gallons. Current pump is a Hayward with no plate,e tc. so I'm guessing it's a 3/4 HP Super Pump. Filter is an 18.5" Jacuzzi Splash-Pak and cleaner looks like the original Hayward Pool Vac. A layout of the pool and with footage, etc. can be found at the URL in my signature below). Missing is the fact that all plumbing is 1.5" PVC.

For a pump I've been going back and forth between the 3/4 HP single speed and the 1 HP Two-Speed Hayward Super Pump. Main concern is enough suction for the cleaner.

For a filter I want to stay with a sand filter (Hayward Pro Series) to which I add DE from time to time. Just need the right size based on pump.

And lastly, the cleaner. I've been looking at The Poolcleaner and just need to know whether I need the 2-wheel or 4-wheel version.

Thanks in advance for your help and glad to have found this site. I recognize some of the names from another site (that I can't find my password for!). And this is something I planned to do last year but didn't and really limped along last year and August into September I had a real difficult time as I had filter leaks, broken Jandy Valve handle (need this also), loud and barely working pump, etc. Figured I "stimulate the economy" and get ready for the summer at the same time :p

Welcome to TFP!

The 1 HP should give you enough flow rate for an 8 hour turnover and if you want to run at 1/2 speed, you could run 24/7 with 1.5 turnovers. My estimate with your plumbing puts the 1 HP at 47 GPM with 45' of head which is pretty close to the BEP point. So my recommendation would be the 1 HP 2 speed. The SuperPumps are pretty ideal for 1.5" plumbing.

As for the cleaner, thepoolcleaner is a good choice since it needs less suction than other types of cleaners. Given the location of your cleaner port, you can get away with the 2 wheel version. I have a longer pool than yours but my cleaner port is midway as well and I use a 2 wheel.

As for filter, go with something that has a maximum flow rate of 100 GPM or more. I like to target twice the actual flow rate but you could get away with a bit less.

Mark -
good to hear from you again.

I just measured the piping runs again and the originals were just a lttle off (23' for skimmer, 32' for vacuum and 29' for return).

I started looking at the larger filters (100 gpm) and Hayward Pro Series has a 31" that handles 98 but has 2" piping. All my piping is 1.5" Can I use a reducer between the pump and the filter and the filter and the return? I'm thinking I can't so is there a 1.5" 100 gpm filter out there?

And a source to purchase from would be great as well.

And if you aren't doing anything next Saturday.......

The change in the line lengths don't change the results much. 46 GPM @ 46' of head. For a two speed, that is probably all the pump you need although you might also consider a 1 HP uprated 2 speed Whisperflo WFDS-24. This is equivalent to a 3/4 HP full rated pump and would be a little big for your plumbing but still not too bad. At full speed it would probably operate near 55 GPM @ 64' of head with your plumbing but even though the head loss is higher, it is actually more efficent, 40 GPM/KWh vs 31 GPH/KWh for the SuperPump.

As for the filter, no worries. The 2" version can be stepped down to 1 1/2" but you might want to consider using as much 2" line on the pad as you can. Given that you are pretty much changing all the equipment, there is no reason not to change all the pad pipe to 2". Again, it can be stepped down to 1 1/2" when meeting up with the old pipe runs to the pool.

Also, my 2x criteria for the filter is a little overkill so 98 GPM is fine.

So my plan now is to have the 2 suction lines (one skimmer one vacuum) come into the Jandy valve with 1.5"pipe.

I then run 2" pipe from Jandy valve to Whisperflo 1 HP Dual Speed (WFSD-24) pump.

Then 2" pipe from the pump to Hayward S310T2 filter.

NOW - in the past I had a Hayward Chlorinator between the filter and where the return goes under the pad. I normally use bleach but like the Chlorinator for when we are away. The chlorinator is 1.5" in & out. So should I eliminate the chlorinator and reduce from 2" to 1.5" just above the pad? Or can I reduce as soon as I come out of the filter and before the chlorinator?

If you want to keep the chlorinator, I would use 2" line out of the filter all the way to the chlorinator, then step down to 1 1/2" at the chlorinator. The more 2" line, the better.

Just to close out the thread:

I installed the 1 HP 2-speed Pentair WhisperFlo and it really does "whisper" on low speed!

I installed the Hayward S310T2 (31") filter - the flippin' thing is huge and took 500 lbs. of sand! I may have to backwash once per season :lol:

I left the chlorinator out and ordered the Liquidator instead (should have that this week)

Waiting on "The Poolcleaner" as I'm thinking that my old Hayward PoolVac may have more life in it with the increased suction with the new pump.

Overall I am really pleased with the setup! Thanks again for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.