Pool balanced still green

Jul 26, 2012
Have sand filter run 10 hrs everything is correct
fac 5ppm
cya 60
ta 100
ph 7.4 pool is about 16000 gallons in ground plaster gets sun allnost allday run pump from 8:15

it does this every two weeks 3 weeks

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to complete the shock process to get rid of the algae, then maintain the FC high enough to prevent it from coming back. Read through pool school in the upper right corner of this page for details on hoe to perform the shock process.

Bleach ... and lots of it ... added to maintain the shock FC level found in Pool School for your CYA level.

For 60ppm, you need to maintain the FC at 24ppm ... and then when you pass the 3 tests to stop, you have to maintain the FC above 5ppm at all times.

If your test kit does not measure above 5ppm, then order one of the recommended test kits (see link in my signature) with the FAS-DPD chlorine test. I recommend the TF-100 as it is a better value for the amount of reagents you get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another possibility is that the sand in the filter might be old, or the water is channeling through and not filtering very effectively. The sand might need changing or needs a good mixing up and complete cleaning. Sometimes adding a small amount of DE or other filter aids will clear up the water after 24 hours of filtering, and should be added after every backwashing. That might solve the problem.

The sand being old is not a possibility, it's a definite. In fact it's millions of years old. :-D

However it could be channelled or calcified but until you pass the OCLT, I wouldn't concern yourself with worrying about the filter. There's no indication that it's a problem yet.

Good point Dave.
Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always had the belief that sand can be worn down, the edges become smoother, due to a high amount of backwashing and constant water movement. If true, this would make it more difficult to remove dirt, organic matter, and dead algae as effectively as it once did.

Until yesterday, I haven't followed the posts on clearing up cloudy or green pools (because I have mainly focused on other issues) and I apologize if I am going against TFP policy. But from my perspective of maintaining pools for my customers, if I have maintained a chlorine residual around 10 ppm for a week, and the cloudy water doesn't clear up, I hesitate about adding a very high dose of chlorine. I have often found that by simply adding DE, filter aids, or clarifiers to pools, (and it always seems like the cloudy water problem has been with sand filters, or older cartridges filters), usually works. Of course, I also put my hand in the filter to stir around the sand as best as I can and try to determine the condition of the sand. If it doesn't clear up, then I have super chlorinated to about 30-40 ppm, and yes, then that usually works in those cases.

Ocassionally, when the pool water just won't clear up, I have brought out a portable DE filter, and within 24 hours, the pool water is clear. Of course, maybe if I had raised the chlorine level to over 50 ppm, then perhaps that would have worked also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.