Hayward Super Pump Starting Issues

May 5, 2008
Louisville,KY
I am a new member of the forum. Great Site!! I have already switched over to the BBB method of maintenance and had the easiest opening I have ever had. My question involves my pump. It is a Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump. When I try to turn it on it intermittently has trouble coming on. I flip the power switch and I can feel electricity going to the motor. It will finally kick the breaker, and after reset it will fire right up. Sometimes I have to reset the breaker several times to get it to come on. The impeller turns freely with my finger, no restriction. I was sure that I saw a thread on here about cleaning and/or replacing the starter capacitor on this style pump. After two hours of searching I have come to the conclusion that I was dreaming. Any help pointing me to the thread or advice would be much appreciated

I would try replacing the starting capacitor. Shut the breaker off. It's a for sure DIY job, and the part is cheap enough that you aren't out much if that's not the problem. Pull the old one and take it to a motor/alternator shop or even some pool stores. Make sure you know the numbers off the pump motor.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any possibility that any here would have a jpg image of the inside of the motor with the rear cover off. I found a pic on the pool forum, but I am not a member and the administrator has turned off all new registrations. . If any on here are T.P.F. members here is the link to the jpg if you can grab and post here. Thanks for help. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/attachment ... 1154269208

If you have an AO Smith motor, the cover is on the end. Remove it and the capacitor is the round black cylinder on the left as you face it. If the capacitor is bad, you need to be careful when putting the new one so you don't pinch the other wires. It happens a lot.

Thanks repair_guy. It is definitely an A.O. Smith Motor. I will keep this in mind when installing. Several posters on here have had luck with just cleaning the contacts with the end cover off. I think I will go this route first. Any info on a source for the capacitor if it is bad? I live in the Louisville, KY area. Online source perhaps? Thanks for the info.

Electric Motor & Repair at 743 E. Main in Louisville or Phase III on Market in New Albany. Not knowing exactly where you are, those are a couple I've done business with. I'm originally from the area myself.

rtech said:
Does anyone have a supplier for starting capacitors and starter switches that they can forward me. I have a spare motor that I would like to rebuild.

Poolcenter.com has several capacitors. I've had about as much luck on eBay as any particular supplier. Just Google what you want with your pump or motor model, get the actual manufacturer's number and then search for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.