Just opened my AGP with SWG...will you look over my plan?

Jul 23, 2012
Hi everyone, today was the first full day with my new pool. So, after reading Pool School and tons of other forums, I am striking out into the unknown (partially). I initially added 120 lbs of salt and ran pump filter for 24 hours. Then I turned on my SWG and ran it for 8 hours.

This is what I think i need to do next:
~ buy 38 oz of 6% bleach
~buy 26 oz of stabilizer (by volume)

Incorporate and then take sample to pool store. I am order the T100 test kit, but only have strips for now.
I am also going to buy baking soda, muriatic acid, and borax ....yeah BBB.

Really hot and humid here, with sun directly on pool for approx 10 hours right now.

The water is clear now and my SWG says "working."

Suggestions???
thanks and Semper Fi

Re: Just opened my AGP with SWG...will you look over my plan

Get yourself a cheap test (not strips) kit so you can test for chlorine. Yes, use bleach to get your FC level where it needs to be. I wouldn't go above 30 with CYA until you get your TF-100. Stay out of the pool store. If they test your water be prepared for them to try to sell you a boatload of chemicals. But it looks like you know what you need.

You should have had your bleach in sooner so keep a close eye on you FC levels. When you get your bleach give it a nice friendly dose :) Up to shock level.

You can probably hold off on buying the baking soda and borax. I bought 2 large bags of baking soda when I first started BBB early last year. Both bags still sitting in the garage untouched. I've never needed to use borax either. Guess it wouldn't hurt to have it "on hand."

You have zero CYA you need to get that in there. 38 oz of bleach will raise your FC by about 4. That's if the bleach is 6%. With a CYA of zero i believe it is safe for your kids to swim at 4 FC. But wait until someone seconds that opinion or refutes it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.