Having an issue with a new fill...

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
I had a new liner installed last Thursday, by Friday I had the pool filled and started the balancing procedures. I have all the numbers in line except maybe the cya. I put enough in to get to 50, but even today it is still only reading abou 35-ish. So I will deal with that. The problem I am having is it is refusing to hold chlorine.

The water has always remained crystal clear and sparkily with no visible signs of algae, but the chlorine levels fall quickly and I alway have a cc of 1 if I don't keep it at shock level.

Here is my latest effort to combat this issue: On Tuesday I brought it back up to shock level 20 ppm and kept it there all day Tuesday, got in and brushed it down real good (no signs of algae), kept it at shock level Wed., got in and brushed real good again, took a reading Wed night:

TC 21.5
CC .5
TC 22
ph didn't test
TA 100
cya 35-ish (is supposed to be 50, but hasn't made it there yet)

I got home from work this morning after performing an OCLT and these were my results:

FC 21
CC 0
TC 21

Hooray, I passed! Well, the excitement didn't last long. I went to bed and got up around 4 and decided to test again.

FC 7.5
CC 1
TC 8.5

So, I bumped it back up to 20 and will start over. I know the chlorine is dropping because my cya isn't up where it needs to be, and I will correct that when I get the CC's straightened out. Like I said the water is crystal clear, looks like glass when the pump is off, but I can't get the CC to clear up. I need to go test again, but we've just had a major storm blow in and it's nasty out there. Any suggestions on what might be causing this? I know you guys and gals have helped me in the past and I really appriciate all you do! Thanks in advance.

Not sure what is causing it, but the solution as you are doing is keeping the pool at shock level.

The 30ppm CYA should be doing a pretty good job protecting the FC, with the losses you are seeing, I would think there is something going on in the water.

Well, the CC didn't get there with the fill water, or the liner, which only leaves the filter and the ladder. Was the filter running all night? Is there a load of organics in the strainer basket? That's part of the water, even if it's not in the pool itself. The ladder is easy to check. Nothing growing inside the uprights? Nothing hidden under or in the treads?

Richard, THANK YOU!! I braved to storm and ran out to check the skimmer (admit I forgot to check this morning). We must have had a storm here last night, because it was FULL of leaves). I never even gave it a thought because I work in a different town and there were no storms there last night, so now maybe I can get this cleared up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.