Broken Valve Actuator???

May 28, 2012
My valve actuator that sits on the return piping which chooses between to the pool or return to the spa is stuck on return to spa. This valve is controlled by the intellitouch control and I'm sure that I'm set to pool mode. I think it's malfunctioning because the three setting switch on the back of the valve does nothing when I change the switch positions (the other 3 valves do). Does this sound faulty to you?
Can I mannually move the valve with the handle on top without breaking anything?

If the switch does not do anything, then either it is not getting power or something is broken in the actuator.

What brand is the actuator? Some of them can be disabled allowing you to manually turn it rather easily. Others require more effort to manually move the valve.

They are compool cva 24 . I figured out I needed to remove the motor and then place the handle on top of the valve in order to move it manually. That buys me time until I figure out what's wrong with the motor.

Good deal. Yup, Compupool was not one of the easy brands, along with Pentair. Jandy and Intermatic allow you to leave the actuator in place and just disengage and turn the handle on top.

It does sound like something is faulty in the actuator. When you flip the switch from one side to the other (with the pump off so you can listen), do you you hear the motor running or feel vibration? If so, you can order a gear replacement kit. If not, there is an electrical problem. To isolate the problem, I'd swap the connections on the Intellitouch motherboard (e.g. plug the suction actuator to the return valve controller pins and vice versa). If the return actuator still doesn't work, you can purchase repair parts for it, but you would need to know what the problem inside the actuator is. Do you get 24V AC between the black and white or red wires? If you do, this would eliminate the cord. The capacitor (the big white cylinder with wires) could be bad, or it could be a faulty motor. Replacement parts are available, but expensive.

It might just be worth it to replace the actuator. The Intermatic actuator (PE24VA) should be a direct swap out, and has the advantage that it can be manually adjusted without power and without removing the actuator from the valve.... and it's considerably cheaper.

Thanks for this. I've narrowed it down to an electical problem. I've swaped the connections in the motherboard - the suction actuator worked and the return actuator still didn't. When I toggle the switch the thing is dead - no noise or vibration. How do I test for 24V AC between black, red and white wires in order to rule out the cord?

Thanks for tip on the replacement - I'll look those up - to replace what I have now looks like at least $150

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.