New 14' getting - upgrade now to Sand or Salt? why both?

Jul 26, 2012
So if you could help to clear up some things for me. I'm looking to not use the pump that came with the 14' intex Ultra pool. Thinking I might do the Sand 14 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump. does that get used on its own? I see the salt water one being used with another smaller pump, why?

As a newcomer is using the sand easier thant Salt water or just better off to use the salt water first?

Intex Sand Filter and Saltwater System 1600 gph / I even though about getting this (found one for $225) is it betterdoing the this double version?

Re: New 14' getting - upgrade now to Sand or Salt? why bot

Welcome to tfp, ekoreilly :wave:

ekoreilly said:
I'm looking to not use the pump that came with the 14' intex Ultra pool.
Good choice, those stock intex cartridges are not very good filters.

ekoreilly said:
Thinking I might do the Sand 14 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump.
That would be a good choice for your pool.

ekoreilly said:
does that get used on its own? I see the salt water one being used with another smaller pump, why?
If you are asking about the combined pump/filter/saltwater chlorine generator(swg) that is all in one, I would suggest not buying that. The life of the swg and the pump are not going to be the same, one will fail first, so keeping them separate is a good idea.

ekoreilly said:
As a newcomer is using the sand easier thant Salt water or just better off to use the salt water first?
Two different things (except that intex sells a combined unit, which like I said above, I would avoid). The sand filter is just a filter. The swg is a way to get chlorine in your pool.

ekoreilly said:
Intex Sand Filter and Saltwater System 1600 gph / I even though about getting this (found one for $225) is it betterdoing the this double version?
That is a high price for the non-swg included 1600 sand filter system (I think walmart has is for ~$130 right now). IMO, for you pool the 1600 is a better fit then the 2650, but you could probably get both to work with it.

no heater for us. Se my confusion was that if i got the that walmart sand filter for $129 thats all I needed, nothing else. Obviously not a pool guy, and one thing I don't want is to be checking chemicals everyday and worrying about chlorines levels.

Ahh, now as I watch some videos I am starting to understand it more. Saltwater produces a chlorine but you need a filter(pump) to get rid of other particulates, thus why you have a choice with the paper/cartridge filter VS sand filter.

So buying combined units that are one piece would be like buying a tv with a built in vcr/dvd, one goes bad then the other won't work! thus reason for buying units separate otherwise risk it if one were to go bad.

Being that I only have a 14' pool (or will in 2 days) I shouldn't worry much about a large system. Dang, having a pool is like having a boat, money down the drain, at least the pool is cheaper. I bet in 2 years we'll have a new one installed argh!

I like your analogy. Filter cleans out the debris in the water. SWG creates chlorine that kills the organics. Once you get a system you can easily follow, owning a pool is pretty cheap and easy to deal with. Keep your levels where they need to be and enjoy. My SWG makes it so I can check my pool less frequently. Electricity will be the most costly thing for my pool. I added Borax and baking soda the other day for 5 bucks, that's all I've spent this month for chemicals.... :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The sand filter will be the best upgrade for your pool, and in all honesty if money is a factor, the SWG can wait or even never be a part of your pool. It's great, but it doesn't mean you don't have to test or add chemicals to your pool. It only means that most of the time, it will produce the chlorine the pool needs.

SWG will make your ph rise, so you'll have to maintain that below 7.8 with muriatic acid. How often? Unknown, it depends on a lot of other factors. You'll have to test for it.

Before your SWG starts, you'll use bleach to chlorinate. The salt has to dissolve for 24 hours prior to starting the SWG, and it's hard on a SWG to bring a pool from 0 to a proper FC level on it's own (SWG should be started when FC is at least minimum). So, again you'll need to be testing both prior to starting a SWG and afterwards for a few days to a few weeks perhaps making sure the SWG is doing what you need it to do.

You're also going to need CYA, again before the SWG is started and also shortly after or in conjunction with your first dose of chlorine (bleach). Here again, eventually you'll test the CYA to be sure what you added hit the mark which is 70-80ppm once the SWG is running.

There's a lot to think about with a pool but the basics are a good filter and chlorination. You can do as many/most of us do around here and take 4 minutes every day and put bleach into your pool too. It sounds like a lot of responsibility, but with the tools you'll learn here it really ends up being just a few private moments with your pool a day. After the first season of BBB (no SWG) I was able to pour 3 cups 3oz of bleach into my pool without measuring and hit my target of adding 3ppm per day to the pool.

It took all of 2 minutes actually. Time fetching the bleach from the garage was most of it.

Additionally, with a 14 foot Intex pool, you do not need the larger filter and pump. The 1600gph pump is more than plenty for this size of a pool. I have one on a 15x48. I also run an intex filter over the rail attached to a skimmer.

To clarify the power of the 1600gph one day the kids turned the eyeball on the return in the opposite direction of normal. Normally the pool swirls in a clockwise direction. I looked at the pool and the leaves on top were swirling counter clockwise. Huh?? Now bear in mind that the cartridge filter originally provided with this pool is still running, and under normal circumstances swirls the pool in a clockwise direction. The power of the 1600gph had completely overrode the cartridge filter and had the water turned on itself. All that from a supposed measely 600gph more.

Hope this information helps. And whatever you do decide, please get a test kit asap. You really do need it.

Hi ekoreilly and welcome to TFP! :)
Yes, get a good test kit! It's better to start out with one than not. I would never wish anyone to have pool water trouble, green water is no fun and cost more to fix than to prevent...
Look here at test kits:
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
The TF-100 is the most preferred, then the TF-50 or Taylor K-2006
Then start a post in getting started thread, following these instructions and we all can help you have success before failure. (I did it the hard way the first time! :hammer: )
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

Chuck

Man I am spinning my head about this pool business! So I have the pool and filling it now. I am not going to stick with that tiny pump that came in the box and I really don'tr want the headache of checking chlorine levels all thime and tossing in chlorine. ( call it laziness or worried I'd over chlorinate the pool)

So is the sand pump the better way to start the upgrade or just better off going with Sand and salt water too?

I want to be able to use the lady bug bottom pool cleaner and reviewers say 1600 dand filter may not be strong enough, so maybe I should get the 2600 one (by intes)

Hayward - Am I better off getting the Hayward and are they much better and reliable?

Oh then I have to worry about the pool toys for the kids! ARGH! :eek:)

Upgrading the pump and filter would be my first priority. The Intex sand filter is easiest since you can connect it to the pool directly.

The Hayward is likely to be better, could be used if you decided to get a steel walled AG in the future (not an uncommon occurrence for many Intex owners) and will require you to cut in the new return and skimmer openings.

The Intex being easiest but the Hayward is likely to filter faster with the larger fittings and has a longer service life expectancy in my mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.