Dropping PH while out of town...

May 30, 2012
Boyd, Texas
I've been trying to keep my ph at 7.2, due to my high TA (>200), to try and prevent scaling of the SWG plates. To do this I have been adding acid every day or every other day to drop it from around 7.5. My question is since I am going out of town for a few days would it be harmful to drop it to say 6.8 and let it climb back up while i'm out of town?

With high TA, lowering PH to 6.8 is probably fine. I wouldn't normally go that low, but high TA will drive it up quickly so there shouldn't be an issue. However, it won't extend the time that the PH stays reasonable by very long. The lower the PH, the faster it goes up.

frogabog said:
If you have room to move on CYA at all, you could drop a 3" puck in a floater. That would help keep pH down and perhaps handle FC in case the SWG stops working due to scaling.

Hmm, might be worth looking into. I'm still waiting for CYA in sock to dissolve but I aimed for 75 so if the pool calculator is close I don't want to go over. Only going to be out of town for 3 days but if something does go wrong I'll definitely look into this for next time.

Do they have anything that is slow release for PH...like a puck but acidic? Also couldn't find it exactly. How much does a 3" chlorine tablet drop PH? I hear everyone say they increase chlorine and cya but forgot they dropped PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.