bacquacil conversion

avg24

Jul 26, 2012
I am ready to take the plunge.

I have been reading other entries and I am excited for this endeavor.

My question is , can I start conversion while there is bacquacil chemicals in water. My sanitizer number is 20.

I was told by the pool people that there cannot be any presence of bacquacil in water before conversion starts. They warn that the water will turn to a jello like substance if I have bacquacil in water.

Thanks in advance

Andrei

avg24 said:
I have read the post I have not added bacquacil in 3 weeks. Will this make the process longer.
I am not an expert (never did one directly myself), but many on here have switched directly from doing baqua. The only way to lessen the length of conversion, is to wait and let the baqua residual decay, which could take awhile and in the meantime you might pick up a higher algae load that would likely slow down the conversion process.

avg24 said:
Also are there any special instructions?
Other than be ready to dedicate some time to it, that pool school article does a great job explaining the process. Make sure you get an appropriate test kit, you probably should get the TF-100, since you will need a lot of reagents.

I started with a sanitizer level well over 40 when I did the swap last year. It will "gunk" up some...but with HEAVY doses of chlorine the Baqua will break down and turn clear. The less Baqua you have in the pool....the quicker the swap will go....but you don't need to level to be zero by any means. The Pool School article works.

Thank you to all the replies I did purchase a taylor water kid with plenty of reagents.
Do you know if that gunk will mess up my sand filter or should I just keep adding the chlorine to keep it at 15 parts per 1,000,000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I switched at the beginning of a new season which made my conversion go relatively quickly. I had to clean my DE filter a bunch of times before my water was clear. I'd assume you will need to back wash a bunch of times. Lots of bleach and follow the directions. You will not regret it when it's all done. You may be scared of what it looks like half way through. BTW, we love to see pics of the transformation.

That is unfortunate, I thought I read that it did have that test.
I will order the correct kit, but I can start this process, correct?
I imagine if I add a good amount of bleach each time, I should be okay.
Or will too much bleach do damage to pool?
Calculator says to add 498oz initially.
thanks

I myself would wait until you get the correct kit.....HOWEVER at the start almost all of your chlorine will be ate up by the Baquacil in a matter of hours that you won't run much risk of fading your liner or anything. It will go slower, and you will waste some chlorine, but you can start now if you wish.

I'd still wait however. :D

So I add another 4+ gallons last night, had some rain.
I checked this AM, and FC was at 3-4.
I did order the above listed kit, awaiting its arrival.
I will just have to check/add bleach at longer intervals until kit arrives.
The time in between will lower FC to a readable range for my kit.
I will go add 370 oz of bleach now, as approximated by calculator.................

fri 7/27/and Sat 7/28...checked fc 3-4 again, both days. Checked in morning before sun hits pool.
Saturday wife says it looks like the pool is getting better, I dont see it.
I added two bottles of clorox(192oz each), each night before bedtime on thurs, fri and sat nights.
I woke up this morning(Sunday) to a much bluer pool, I can see the bottom, but still not even close to crystal clear. Way better than it was three days ago though.

I will try to post pics.
I am still waiting for my second kit to arrive to so I can maintain the 15ppm shock level.

this is an amazing metamorphosis in three days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.