Switched to BBB, pool looking great, but pH goes up now

Jun 3, 2012
Folsom, CA
I recently made the switch to BBB, and pool has been looking really good, water seems shiny and soft, and the amount of bleach to add has come down. Happy so far. However, I have noticed that the pH goes up to around 7.8 or so. I brought it down to 7.4, and within 4-5 days, it goes up to 7.8. Is it normal?

Test results are:

pH: 7.8
FC: 2.5
CC: Absent
TA: 90
CH: 200
CYA: 35

Is everything looking good or I need to so something about pH?

You need to bring your FC up and keep it at or above 3 ppm all the time.

As for your pH problem. I think it'll settle down if you'll let your TA come down to about 70 or 80 ppm. Which will happen over time as you adjust the pH down with acid.

Thanks for the replies. I will raise the FC today.

I have noticed that even without using waterfall, pH goes up, but it is probably due to splashing :), so I will add acid to lower the pH and TA. Hopefully, it will get stable soon.

Thanks a bunch everyone :)

Yes, very normal for California. I suspect you've been adding water to replace splashout and evaporation, and it will raise TA, which will drive pH upwards. It may not show on a test, if it only raised the pool 4 or 5 ppm, but it's there nonetheless.

Just for kicks, test your tap water.

My pool is still new (4 months) and we have a continuously overflowing spa. Rising ph is my greatest expense at the moment. I was adding about 36oz of MA every other day. It seems to have slowed down a bit lately and now I add about 36oz every three or four days. Recently while on and 8 day vacation I was forced to use pucs and upon returning the the ph was as low as I had ever seen, around 7.2.

So yes, I think it's normal.

Bluechip said:
My pool is still new (4 months) and we have a continuously overflowing spa. Rising ph is my greatest expense at the moment. I was adding about 36oz of MA every other day. It seems to have slowed down a bit lately and now I add about 36oz every three or four days. Recently while on and 8 day vacation I was forced to use pucs and upon returning the the ph was as low as I had ever seen, around 7.2.

So yes, I think it's normal.

I also have a spa that is continious, I adjusted my valves on my spa so the water just trickles over into the pool, and has reduced my MA use. Also a lower TA will reduce the amount of MA you use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey neighbor..good to see another Sacramento person here. I have learned a lot from this site, and am already taking care of the pool on my own. Really glad to have found this forum (planning to be a supporter soon).

quote="Christian"]Hiya neighbor! I just bought a house in Sacramento in March![/quote]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.