Help...first time using Taylor kit... no FC present

Ok- per the awesome instructions here I bought a new Taylor K-2006 test kit... felt like I was in chemistry class again when I opened it :) I am looking for some help in what to do with these results. I have a Intex AG 16' saltwater pool...

I tested Calcium Hardness first... seemed easiest. The sample never turned red but a light purple. Added 8 drops until it turned blue. According to chart that means a reading of 80. (right?)

PH - was a very transparant orange THROUGH the plastic, with the cover off, it looked like 7.2. Added one drop of PH increase base demand chem for fun and it looked like 7.4.

Alkalinity: five drops using 10 ml sample = 125 (I think that's normal range... dip strips said it was HIGH?!!!)

CyA: The mixture NEVER turned cloudy... the black dot NEVER disappeared. Filled it up to over the 9ml line and still saw black dot clearly. What does THAT mean? Guessing that means non-measurable CA present?

Now for the kicker... Free Chlorine:

I knew I needed FC but this was a shocker! Added the 0870 powder and nothing... 2 more scoops... clear... 2 more scoops clear...2 more scoops clear... I kept adding powder until the water changed to a very faint hint of light pink. I didn't want to waste the whole jug so I quit. Added One drop of the 0871 and it was instantly clear.

What should me next step be to get some chlorine in the pool?

Thanks for your help!

Jan

This may help you:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

TA of 125 is a little high, but if your pH isn't swinging around you don't have to fix it.

Yes, if you still see the dot, you are very low on CYA.

Don't keep adding scoops of the 870. It is just a waste. If you don't see pink after adding one scoop and stirring, you have no FC.

Next step to get chlorine in the pool? Pour in bleach!

If you are depending on your SWG, you need to measure your salt content, and you need to get your CYA up around 80 by adding stabilizer.

You need to add some bleach. Now.

If you haven't added any stabilizer, your CYA will be zero. It's not present in tap water. Or well water. If you've used any pucks, or dichlor "shock" powder, you'll have a little CYA, but maybe not enough to show up. You should have about 70 ppm with a saltwater generator.

My prescription: add about 6 cups of regular Chlorox right away. With the pump running. Then get some CYA "stabilizer," measure out 2 lbs into an old sock, tie it up and hang it in front of the return in the pool. You'll check it in about a week and then adjust it to 70 from there.

Have you added salt yet? Have you measured the salt level? That needs to be put into range for your SWG.

It's all in

Thank u so much!! Going to buy bleach... Don't have that much :). What about using a liquid stabilizer? I know the store has that. Is it less efficient? If it works, how much should I add? If I use liquid, should I test tomorrow instead of next week ?

The proper amt of salt was added (3bags if I remember right) when we set up the pool on June 15. Pump isn't giving me low salt message and haven't had to add much water. Should it still be at correct level? I didn't buy a salt test kit:(

Liquid stabilizer is fine. It will mix and be testable in a couple hours rather than days. It's also much more expensive, although with a smallish pool like yours, it's not going to be that much money.

You did see where I said "cups" of chlorox, right? Not gallons!

Unless you lost a bunch of water somehow, your salt level should still be fine.

Looks like the problem is you didn't have any stabilizer, so the sun eats up the free chlorine as fast as the SWG can generate it. Your pool's not green or anything is it?

It's been great until two weeks of 100degree weather. Then it got cloudy and just the slightest tinge of green. Water boatmen moved in. I read on a website that said algaecide would get rid of them. I added algaecide and it cleared up water and kIlled boatmen but left water tasting like soap and when kids kick it left a little bubble trail. Really wish I hadn't added it and Found this website first. Now I know that the chlorine and ca was the root of the problem.

Yes.. Cups not quarts. ;). We have septic system and I don't use for anything. Only 2 cup size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.