Newbie Needs Help: No FC? Just added SWG.

Jul 23, 2012
I am new to TFP and what a great site this is. Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.

I am trying to help my mother n law with her 22K gal IG pool and want to make it easier on her pocketbook, hence the reason why I added the SWG (circupool RJ45).

I am new to the whole pool keep up and getting the water cyrstal clear. When I started approx 3weeks ago it was a mess and green. Today it is clear but not like I want it. I took a water sample to a local pool supply and they talked me into Phosphate remover ($53) because it was around 1000, never again will I do that according to this wonderful site. I am having trouble getting my FC up and thats why I am here..

CC 0.31
FC 0.31 - added 184 bleach yesterday and still low(lite yellow) this morning with Walmart test strips
PH 7.9 - added 1 quart acid yesterday
TA 119
CH 200
CYA 45
Salt - 4200 - a little high would like around 3500ish

I think I have an algae problem eating my chlorine, and need to shock. Pool Calc says to add 670oz of bleach, do I add all at one time? Please help.

With the cost of the SWG and chemicals just seems to be no end.... Also taylor k-2006 test kits order today. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

It looks like you need to shock. If we can believe the CYA it will take 716 oz (~ 4 large jugs) to get to shock level. And yes, you pour it all in at once. Wait an hour and retest and raise it back to shock level.

Welcome! :wave:

Too bad the money you wasted on the phosphate remover wasn't spent on a test kit instead. That would have been a good investment. I'm not sure I'd trust the pool store results. You won't have to read here long before you realize they leave a lot to be desired for accuracy. Well, I guess yours is on the way, now....

If you gain nothing else here, it's that shocking the pool is a process that can take days or even weeks. It's not a product that you dump in once. Algae is sorta like yeast. A tiny bit will multiply. So you need to kill it with bleach faster than it can reproduce, and keep killing it until it's all dead, or it will just come back and all the bleach you poured in will have been wasted.

How did the CYA jump that much? Did you add any(lots of) dichlor or trichlor products? Or should we chalk it up to the pool store results being accurate +/- 100%?

You really need together able to trust your results as the difference in shock levels for the two CYA values is immense. This Is why I got my test kit. I am now in control of my testing and the decisions required to maintain my pool... Not the pool $tore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.