Just filled it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2007
Just filled the pool out of the city water supply. 8 beers in me watching it fill.
Ok I am using the Aqua check strips and it shows this:
Cya 30
Total alk 12
ph 8.4
free clor 5
total clor 3
total hardness 250
What next??? I have bought no chemicals. Love the sound of the BBB method. 9000 gal above ground pool.

anstine said:
Just filled the pool out of the city water supply. 8 beers in me watching it fill.
Cya 30
Total alk 12
ph 8.4
free clor 5
total clor 3
total hardness 250
What next??? I have bought no chemicals. Love the sound of the BBB method. 9000 gal above ground pool.

Anstine,

You answered a commonly asked question....."How long does it take to fill a pool?".....answer.....Eight beers!!

You will not get a whole lot of encouragement using just test strips, as they are frequently innacurate. However, assuming your getting good readings from yours, Your first step would be to get some muriatic acid in there to get your pH down around 7.5 or so.

I'd first add one pint and then test again. It will probably take another pint but I wouldn't dump a whole quart in there at once.....go slowly when you're making adjustments.

Your total Cl is probably not right and your TA is most likely 120 rather than 12 but focus on getting your pH down first and a couple of more tests should confirm what you need to do after that.

Consuming more beers always makes the testing a lot more fun!! :lol: :lol:

anstine said:
Cya 30
Total alk 12
ph 8.4
free clor 5
total clor 3
total hardness 250

What have you added to the pool?

Total Chlorine is the sum of Free Chlorine(FC) and Combined Chlorine(CC), so it can't be less than your FC. I'd highly recommend a trip to a pool store to double check your results. If you haven't added any CYA, then you won't have any. I'd recommend you get the $12-$15 kit at Walmart and run your numbers with that, or take a sample to a pool store. Also post how much water your pool holds.

Love the 8 beer timeframe to fill your pool. Hilarious!

Seriously, you need to get yourself a decent test kit.

I do use strips during the week, as a quick check, but I use a real test kit on the weekend, or in the rare instance that I am having an issue with my pool balance, I will use the real test kit during the week.

Enjoy your pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.