Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just filled it up

1. Back To Top    #1

Just filled it up

Just filled the pool out of the city water supply. 8 beers in me watching it fill.
    Ok I am using the Aqua check strips and it shows this:
    Cya 30
    Total alk 12
    ph 8.4
    free clor 5
    total clor 3
    total hardness 250
    What next??? I have bought no chemicals. Love the sound of the BBB method. 9000 gal above ground pool.
    In-Ground, Vinyl, 27038 Gallons, Fresh Water, CAT 2000 Controller, BBB, Haywood equipment with Perflex DE Filter, Homebrew Solar System (only works when the sun shines);)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Just filled it up

Quote Originally Posted by anstine
    Just filled the pool out of the city water supply. 8 beers in me watching it fill.
    Cya 30
    Total alk 12
    ph 8.4
    free clor 5
    total clor 3
    total hardness 250
    What next??? I have bought no chemicals. Love the sound of the BBB method. 9000 gal above ground pool.
    Anstine,

You answered a commonly asked question....."How long does it take to fill a pool?".....answer.....Eight beers!!

You will not get a whole lot of encouragement using just test strips, as they are frequently innacurate. However, assuming your getting good readings from yours, Your first step would be to get some muriatic acid in there to get your pH down around 7.5 or so.

I'd first add one pint and then test again. It will probably take another pint but I wouldn't dump a whole quart in there at once.....go slowly when you're making adjustments.

Your total Cl is probably not right and your TA is most likely 120 rather than 12 but focus on getting your pH down first and a couple of more tests should confirm what you need to do after that.

Consuming more beers always makes the testing a lot more fun!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Perhaps the use of muratic acid after consuming beer is not a wise choice....

At least I know now what I forgot over these last two weeks, the beer certainly would make the frustration tolerable.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Just filled it up

Quote Originally Posted by anstine
    Cya 30
    Total alk 12
    ph 8.4
    free clor 5
    total clor 3
    total hardness 250
    What have you added to the pool?

Total Chlorine is the sum of Free Chlorine(FC) and Combined Chlorine(CC), so it can't be less than your FC. I'd highly recommend a trip to a pool store to double check your results. If you haven't added any CYA, then you won't have any. I'd recommend you get the $12-$15 kit at Walmart and run your numbers with that, or take a sample to a pool store. Also post how much water your pool holds.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Love the 8 beer timeframe to fill your pool. Hilarious!

Seriously, you need to get yourself a decent test kit.

I do use strips during the week, as a quick check, but I use a real test kit on the weekend, or in the rare instance that I am having an issue with my pool balance, I will use the real test kit during the week.

Enjoy your pool!
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Only 8 beers - you must have used a fire hydrant
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)