Installing a Hybrid (Fiberglass wall & Concrete bottom) pool

tbaker

Jul 26, 2012
I am considering installing a hybrid type pool using fiberglass wall panels and a poured concrete bottom. But, I need installation advice & steps required. Having trouble finding info on these types of pools and how-to requirements. Some big questions include proper sealing of wall seams and correct method of pouring concrete bottom up to the fiberglass wall (expansion material required, pour on both sides of wall, sealer needed at contact point, etc...?). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Troy

Re: Installing a Hybrid (Fiberglass wall & Concrete bottom)

Tony all the sealer should be included in the wall kit. The wall will be poured into the floor, you will have a floor about 8" thick. The wall will be set before you pour.

The wall panels I am getting are bare panels with nothing extra (hence the cheap price). So, will need to purchase sealer separately. What else will I need besides stainless nuts & bolts to attach panels together? Any wall supports on back-fill side? If I am understanding you correctly, I will form pool wall panels, level & then pour concrete into bottom. No expansion material needed where concrete meets fiberglass? Is it best to level pool wall panels using blocks under in order to raise above sub-base and then pour concrete to completely surround bottom couple inches of fiberglass panel on both the inside pool area and the outside wall excavated area? Should concrete be reinforced with re-bar and/or fiberglass?

You will need to get a sealer, preferably from the manufacturer of the walls. Stainless nuts and bolts aren't necessary, once you pour the floor and deck walls won't be likely to move. You should have some sort of bracing to be able to get the walls plumb. When I build one we dig the hole to rough shape, plumb main drains, then put 1" clean limestone base of 4-6" in. Build walls on 8x8x16 concrete blocks with blocks about 4" in gravel, and square the pool, set the corners, then do the rest of the walls. After that pour your floor encasing the bottom 4" of fiberglass wall in concrete and going out to the overdig. I would recommend rebar on 1' centers depending on your climate.

Awesome, that is exactly the info I was looking for from someone with experience doing this type of pool. Thank you so much! How do you finish the concrete & with what products (epoxy, paint, etc...)?

Light broom finish. Aloow concrete to cure for at leaset 7 days. We then acid wash with muriatic acid, wash with soap that nuetralizes the acid rinsing very well. Wait for it to dry then we apply the first of two coats of epoxy paint.

Again, exactly the info I needed, thank you! There are a couple other questions I'd like to verify: What type of gravel are you using for back-fill? When wall sections are joined together, should a sealer be applied between the two or wait and just apply a bead over seam? Do you recommend plumbing with solid or flex pipe?

We are in Missouri so we have an abudance of limestone, so we use 1" clean to backfill. Between wall joints the wall manufacturer should have some sort of joint seal they want used, then they may also have a sealer they want applied over the joint. Check with them and see what is preferred. On plumbing I don't use flex at all. I heat bend my sch40, there are too many risks with flex in my book to bury it under ground.

Thank you again for all the excellent information! I finally have the pools wall panels in my possession. Am attaching a photo so you can see type. Can not find a manufacturer name in order to find a suggested joint sealer when bolting together and for seam after construction (bought panels from private individual). So, any suggestions on the type and brand of sealer to use would be appreciated. Bottom of panel looks to have a a recessed bottom edge of 2". I am assuming this is a pour line for the concrete? Is that sufficient or should I pour above that to have 4" encased in concrete bottom as you earlier suggested? As the concrete cures, will it pull away from fiberglass panel? If so, can you use the same joint sealer as on walls?[attachment=0:2fmr3jao]fiberglasspoolpanel.jpg[/attachment:2fmr3jao]

Attachments

• fiberglasspoolpanel.jpg
    fiberglasspoolpanel.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 185

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That is great, thank you for the Company name. I looked them up and am pretty confident it's the same manufacturer of the one I have. I am going to contact them immediately. I appreciate all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.